Article on Astrology becoming popular again

General discussion. What do you want to talk about?
Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Re: Article on Astrology becoming popular again

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:54 am

Solar Fire and other such programs cost more money and have a steeper learning curve, especially for Sidereal astrology, than a beginning astrology student might be able to manage. It can be a real barrier. I think supplying your students with a clearly written handout detailing how to set up a Sidereal chart on astro.com would be a good idea.

Sometimes even people who own Solar Fire don't choose to go upstairs and fire up the Windows machine. Honestly, I think astro.com's extended chart options are a huge and continuing support for all branches of astrology.

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:40 am

Yes, Marion is a big fan of astro.com - what she has used for years. I've never taken the time to figure out how to make it the slightest bit tolerable for me, but a couple of times I've asked her to do an astro.com intro for people, and it serves them well.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by mikestar13 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 am

Jupiter Sets at Dawn wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:54 am
I think supplying your students with a clearly written handout detailing how to set up a Sidereal chart on astro.com would be a good idea.
Honestly, I think astro.com's extended chart options are a huge and continuing support for all branches of astrology.
That's what I forgot. In recent year I did every chart at astro.com until I rolled my own software using their free Swiss Ephemeris dll. It's a really great resource and the calculations are 100% free.
Time matters

mikestar13
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by mikestar13 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:19 am

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:40 am
Yes, Marion is a big fan of astro.com - what she has used for years. I've never taken the time to figure out how to make it the slightest bit tolerable for me, but a couple of times I've asked her to do an astro.com intro for people, and it serves them well.
That's basically why I roll my own. Their sidereal offerings need some improvement:
  • Ingress charts.
  • SQ's NQ's, and PSSR's.
  • Correct presentation of Solunars. The numbers are spot on, but it's really grating to see any other format but the return planet outside, natal planets inside in the framework of the return chart angles.
I've more than half a mind to email Dr. Alois Treindl and try to get a discussion going, but I lack the technical expertise to handle the progressions. Does anything else belong on the list?
Time matters

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:55 am

astro.com already does SQs just fine. They don't do PSSRs (Nobody correctly does PSSRs except Riyal) because PSSRs are progressed in a whole different manner. BTW, you can set astro.com to use the Solar Arc/MC method by checking the box down toward the bottom of the extended chart selection page.

I think they've had such discussions before. The FAQ addresses trying to get stuff added to their already extensive and free(!) service. See #3: https://www.astro.com/faq/fq_fh_methods_e.htm

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks guys for all the feedback, and yes JSAD, I totally agree with everything you say about Solarfire and the free software at astro.com, but I know exactly nothing about this free astro program. If anyone cares to write out detailed instructions for using this free software with the main solunar charts, I would appreciate, and will definitely pass along to new interested students. But, at the same time I will encourage Solarfire to the serious students who can afford, since I will be encouraging all interested students to Jim’s Solunars forum which already has a-lot of Solarfire detailed instructions with Jim and I married to Solarfire. Mike, depending on if I can stimulate good demand and further interest, I may ask class for optional donations for you possibly developing a very simple Sidereal Astrology program designed specifically for the new Sidereal Astrology student. Just a possible :idea: that pop into my mind.

To change the subject, learned yesterday we all now have very economical access to large HD Monitor Screens. Why and How? China is flooding the Wall Marts with very cheep large Screen TV’s, China is scared Trump is going to f--k em on trade. Many households are buying these TV’s fast with their 5-8-year-old TV sets biting the dust or knowing their old TV sets are near an expensive repair situation, but only for the guts of the TV, not the TV Screens. I have been using TV repairman who has helped me a-lot over the years on other things besides TV’s, and yesterday I purchased for 50$ a 44-inch HD TV Screen to be used in classroom. I already have an extra 15-foot HDMI cord which I can connect to my laptop converting the TV Screen into a large Classroom computer monitor. By what my TV repairman told me---all TV repair shops, if they have not already gone under yet with the China flood of cheap TV’s driving the TV repair shops out of business, have bunches of old TV sets with large Screens that their customers have GIVEN them when they find out a repair job will cost 200-250$---and they know for the same amount of $ they can purchase a new cheap large screen TV. My TV repairman has 11 large working HD TV Screens in his small repair shop, but fears his days as a long time TV repairman are numbered. :(

mikestar13
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by mikestar13 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks for the info, JSAD. I was afraid it wouldn't be productive to contact them.

Steve, astro.com does everything on line, just go to their website and navigate to "Extended Chart Selection". By all means, encourage Solar Fire for the students who are sufficiently committed and have the $. But astro.com is IMO the best free resource for the broke or unsure. I'd advise you to learn it and teach it. The chart section is easy to use, but PM me if you'd like a detailed step-by-step. If the demand is there, I'd be happy to work on a simple program you could make available to students. We'd need to discuss means of compensation, as a direct payment would be seized by the state as an offset to my Medi-Cal costs.
Time matters

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:15 pm

Mike wrote:
Steve, astro.com does everything on line, just go to their website and navigate to "Extended Chart Selection".
Will do Mike, thanks
Mike wrote:
I'd advise you to learn it and teach it. The chart section is easy to use, but PM me if you'd like a detailed step-by-step.
Damn good advice Mike & JSAD, yes, I will PM you or post to you and JSAD for detailed step-by-step, if needed. I am one of those Virgo’s that always need ‘step by step’ instructions for my confused style learning curves with completely new stuff..

I want to post later my dream simple Sidereal Astrology program for the new student as well as for all of us. Probably a pipe dream, but I still want to bounce it off everyone for their take.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:05 pm

Steve, I think if you use the site twice, you'll have it figured out. Go to astro.com, choose "Free Horoscopes" on the menu bar, choose "Extended Chart Selection", create a new account when prompted (I've never gotten spam from them) and follow directions. When you run into something you don't get, let us know what the problem is and we'll tell you what to look for.

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:08 am

Thanks JSAD, going to astro.com now.

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:41 am

Mission accomplished JSAD 8-) , thanks :) . Can I use this free software to set only outer planet transits (Jup-Pl) to Natal Angles for 1 year, and get any possible hits with a list?

https://imgur.com/a/GIrst

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:41 am

No idea, sorry.
Be sure to check out what you get when you click the line that says Additional Tables (PDF) on any chart diagram. (Upper left side right above the box giving the details of the chart.)

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:05 am

The more I contemplate JSAD’s link article in this topic, the more I am convinced, the best way for us to spread Jim’s work to any possible new astrology students with Sidereal Astrology is through all forms of Social Media within our communities. I am trying to educate myself with all forms of communications with Social Media. I was talking with my Librarian the other day, asking the best way for me to get educated communicating with all forms of Social Media in my community. She told me there was a junior (female) in High School who tutors senior citizens on the basics of the internet, and she thought she may be able to help me with my learning curve with all forms of social media, stayed tune for further developments about this learning possibility.

I see so many possibilities for us with social media to put ourselves before our communities with whatever our personal objectives are with Sidereal Astrology. My main objective is to figure out a way to teach certain aspects of Sidereal Astrology with a revolving door to classroom teachings. And I know my best style for my brand of teaching will be through my Scorpio Moon where Jim has posted about Scorpio Moons with Fagan’s delineations:
Strong sense of the dramatic and mysterious is added to all they say and do. Popular story-tellers. Love to hold audience's attention.
These words by Fagan are so true for my soul so I want to structure my Sidereal Astrology classroom teachings around my innermost Scorpio Moon core. Everyone loves a good mystery and I love to tell stories, so I am going to tell the story about the beautiful mysterious things about Sidereal Astrology, delivered in a casual manner, mixing in cherry-picked Sidereal Astrology charts. In my mind/soul, Sidereal Astrology charting with AA birth times is the most beautiful mysterious component of my entire life. Sidereal Astrology charting has acted like a life-giving elixir for my life, so I am going to try and extend this through classroom teachings.

I damn sure am going to take astro.com free astrology program and link it up with Facebook in my community with detailed Sidereal Zodiac instructions for anyone who wishes to calculate their Natal Charts, seeing their positions of Sidereal Natal Suns and Moons. At the same time linking those who calculate their charts with all the words Jim has posted on this forum about Sidereal Suns/Moons. I see so much potential for us to expand (Jupiter) the words/teachings of Sidereal Astrology through our communities with free social media. I just need to learn certain specific details about free social community media in order to process/organize through my Virgo mind. As I learn these details—I will post--so any Sidereal Astrologer on this forum has the same options with free social media in their community to put themselves before their public. :)

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 am

I am trying to learn how to use Facebook’s “What’s Happening In Town’s/Cities” to post a link to Astro.com free software for any community Facebook members who may want to compute their Sidereal Natal Charts. If I can accomplish this mission, I then want to provide links to Jim’s work on Sidereal Sun-Moon signs. So far, a dead end. Next, I am going to try and make contact with a moderator for Facebook’s “What’s Happening In Springville” for the moderator’s opinion/help. If I can figure out a way to achieve this objective, I will post detailed instructions for all interested members who may want to do the same in their communities. I have a secondary motive for this objective: This will help give me better exposure in my community for possible free classroom teachings on Sidereal Astrology. :)

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:29 am

For any member who may be interested in teaching/consulting Sidereal Astrology within there community, and providing a link to Jim's forum, this begins the Steps Instructions for joining “What’s Happening In (your town/city community).
1: Download the free Facebook app on your I-phone.
2: Then tap the Facebook icon on your I-phone
3: Then tap the ‘search’ box at top of screen.
4: Then type in What’s Happening In (your town/city community).
5: A ‘join’ button will appear, tap the ‘join’ button. You will see a pending button to tap for community guidelines, and possible administers/moderators names. Try to make contact with Adm/Mod to discuss best way for you to teach or consult in your community as a Sidereal Astrologer by communicating through facebook community.

Wait 2-3 days and when you tap the Facebook icon on your phone you will notice you are now joined with your community. I have not exactly figured out the proper processes for posting/responding on community facebook yet, but will post as my learning curve advances.

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Here are the detailed FIRST-TIME instructions for new Sidereal Astrology students to get their Sidereal Sun & Moon signs with astro.com free software. I ask members to test and help me tweak these instructions, if necessary.
1: Click on www.astro.com
2: Click on FREE HOROSCOPES (twice) at top of page under Astrodienst. This should move you to Free horoscopes at Astrodienst Page (make sure this is right page).
3: Then you will see Extended Chart Selection page. (click link— ‘click here to go to the data entry page’.
4: You should now be in Birth Data Entry Page
A: Type in your first name or any name. Do not use any last names for security reasons
B: Click Gender button.
C: Next to birthday box, type in day of birth
D: Next to birthday box, click small down black arrow, then click on month of birth.
E: Next to hour box with 3 ???, click on small down black arrow, and then click on your hour of birth. You should notice your hour of birth appear in box preceded by another number (don’t mind this other number)
F: Then click on ‘min’ box and type in the minute of your birth.
G: Then next to country box, click on small black down arrow, then click on your birth State.
H: Then next to birth town box, type in your birth town/city, then click on next box that appears under the town/city box.
I: Then click continue box.
J: Now you should be looking at an Extended Chart Selection Page. Under OPTIONS, you MUST click SIDEREAL box. When you do this, next to Ayanamsha you will see two words: Fagan/Bradley
K: Then the box above OPTIONS which says: ‘click here to show the chart’
Then scroll down to bottom of page, writing down your Sun & Moon signs.
I ask all members who have listed their birth data on this forum to test these detailed instructions for me for feedback to see if they get their correct Sidereal Sun & Moon Signs. Thanks. :)

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:16 pm

Works.

As long as you're not getting into houses (and why would you) the house system doesn't matter. The MC and ASC are correct.

mikestar13
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Jupiter Sets at Dawn wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:16 pm
Works.

As long as you're not getting into houses (and why would you) the house system doesn't matter. The MC and ASC are correct.
I disagree. Until the student gets to the point where he will be creating mundoscopes, Campanus is the best approximation of angularity, especially in regard to seeing what's in the backgound. Now, for a birth in southern Mexico, pretty much any quadrant system will do, but in, say, Scotland there is a really big difference between Placidus and Campanus at some times of the day.

Perhaps worth noting: If you sign up for a free membership, you can set personal defaults for all your charts. Mine is of course Sidereal, Fagan/Bradley, Campanus.
Time matters

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:35 am

I am trying to arrange a meeting with the moderator for Facebook’s ‘What’s Happening In Springville.’ First, I want to provide a link for the moderator to JSAD’s article on this thread. Then, I want to discuss with her about the best way for putting a permanent link for astro.com free horoscopes on Springville’s facebook community site. If successful, then I want to link everyone who is interested in their Sidereal Sun-Moon signs to Solunars written words on their Sun-Moon signs. Then linking info about my free Introductory Sidereal Astrology classes in my community. If I can achieve this objective on my community’s facebook page, I figure I can do the same with other communities in my area, at least reaching the eyes of hundreds of thousands members. I figure only a small % of members will be interested in their Sidereal Sun/Moon signs. I am trying to promote/revive the study of Sidereal Astrology for interested new students of astrology, at the same time relieving my retirement boredom by teaching free Sidereal Astrology classes.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 am

Sorry, I didn't put that well.

Steve, if all you're looking for is Sun and Moon position, your instructions are perfect.

Please ignore my confused reaction at 0:Dark-Thirty in the AM over the house system not being what I'm used to.

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:04 am

JSAD wrote:
Steve, if all you're looking for is Sun and Moon position, your instructions are perfect.
Yes, I don’t want to overload the possible new student for Sidereal Astrology, only get them to their Sidereal Sun-Moon interpretations on Jim’s forum. JSAD, the thought just occurred to me: After the new student plugs in their birth data for the FIRST time on astro.com, the format changes for a second entry of birth data. I am thinking, I also need to provide detailed instructions for a second entry of birth data. Do you understand what I am seeing with someone entering a second Natal Chart?

BTW, last night I was contacted to begin my paid for learning classes with Social Media/Facebook-Community at 4:00 PM today at Library. A junior (Matthew) in High School will tutor me. I will eventually be passing on all I learn on this thread with detailed instructions. I am convinced most all possible new students for Sidereal Astrology are millennials and the generation behind them are plugged deeply into most forms of Social Media.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:50 am

SteveS wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:04 am
JSAD, the thought just occurred to me: After the new student plugs in their birth data for the FIRST time o
n astro.com, the format changes for a second entry of birth data. I am thinking, I also need to provide detailed instructions for a second entry of birth data. Do you understand what I am seeing with someone entering a second Natal Chart?
No, I'm not seeing that. Are you talking about the link at the upper right to "Add A New Person"? That's exactly the same.

On the birth data entry form, just above the continue button, there's a "show/hide extended settings" with a plus sign in front of it. Is that what you mean? If it is, you could mention if that's showing to just ignore it.

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks JSAD, I think I now know what to add to instructions, if I do add. I will get back with you on any possible final tweaks to instructions.

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 am

I now know how to navigate, post, respond to posts on 'What's Happening In Springville,' specific instructions later so any member who joins their community facebook will be better informed. I also can now communicate with the Administrator (Beth). Later today, I am sending a PM to Beth asking:

Hi Beth,
I am a retired gentleman 70-year young living in Springville for 34 years. I was wondering if it would be possible/practical to post a permanent link on What’s Happening In Springville where people for free could get their Natal Charts with their Sidereal Sun-Moon signs, with various key word interpretations. This link would be used for only entertainment purposes, no different than standard newspaper Sun Sign astrology. Below is a link article with statistical data showing increase interest in astrology. If you like, I could send you the link for people getting their free Sidereal Sun-Moon Signs with keyword interpretations.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... gy/550034/

Comment-Opinions?

SteveS
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by SteveS » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Talked with a psychic today (Susan), excellent reading about things going on in my immediate environment. I asked her read on me teaching free Sidereal Astrology classes and here are a few of her exact words:
It happens rapidly, like a match to gasoline, I will be overwhelmed.