2017 October stuff

Analyses of distinct mundane events, using the methods of Sidereal mundane astrology
Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
2017 October stuff

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:22 am

Starting the flow...
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Mandalay Bay Hotel Shooting (Las Vegas)

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:46 am

Full development here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1719
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Re: 2017 October stuff

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:44 pm

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Spain & Catalonia

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:39 am

Spain is in significant internal upheaval. The somewhat autonomous Catalonia region overwhelmingly voted last week to secede from Spain. It's an area with a distinctive culture, history, and language, and thinks it should be a separate country. It's also the one region that contributes more to Spain's economy than all the others, so, as you may imagine, the Spanish government isn't happy with this idea.

Madrid has declared this election illegal (let's say: invalid), and is mobilizing a resistance. The king spoke out against it yesterday. There is some serious disagreement afoot. Though I haven't heard the term floated in the media, it does have the feel of approaching a new Spanish Civil War if this escalates.

So... what's going on astrologically for Spain?

Spain's (Madrid's) Capsolar is dormant. The Cansolar is quite active, though, and has the standing for the rest of the year not only as a Quarter chart but de facto Year chart. Neptune is partile conjunct Descendant, and Venus culminates. In addition to the ecliptical Moon-Uranus conjunction, Spain has a 2° Moon-Mars square mundanely.

It's the kind of chart under which mass murders occur, in which feelings are bruised and ideal fantasies strained. In personal charts, it looks like being blind-sided with news that your mate isn't happy anymore, and maybe "we need to make a change."

This probably will ramp up before it quiets down. The Libsolar in a couple of weeks has Mars rising (and the "failing marriage' metaphor continues, with Saturn and a partile Moon-Venus mundane conjunction more widely angular). The new Capsolar in January is again dormant, so this Cansolar and Libsolar will flow through as Year and Quarter chart until April's Anlunar, which looks highly divisive and separative. There is, at least, considerable domestic instability.

The September 29 Caplunar has Uranus partile conjunct Ascendant opposite Jupiter tightly setting, with a stationary Pluto near MC and a little Sun. In short, it has "break away" symbolism, and this reflects the vote that has already occurred.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Blowing more than flutes

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:46 am

LA Times just sent out breaking news of something that is reportedly sending ripples of shock and concern through LA parents. In an international student cultural exchange program that, among other things, has school children making colorful PVC-pipe flutes for their counterparts in the Philippines, it has been discovered that some of the flutes have been "tainted with semen."

I looked at LA's Arilunar and laughed out loud: Mars and Neptune tightly straddling IC, with Venus in the wings.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Napa-Sonoma Fires

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Napa and Sonoma Counties have horrendous fires burning since last night (October 8). [EDIT: The reported start time was 9:43 PM, Calistoga.] They've had fires before, but people I know who live there (and have been evacuated from there) say the6y've never seen anything like this - the speed, the intensity, adding a whole new dimension of horror. Landmarks have been eradicated. The psychological effect is enormous as well.

Using Napa, CA as an "epicenter," the Caplunar has Neptune on MC - one of the two lead planets for fires - and the new Arilunar has Mars exactly at MC opposite Neptune on IC. (Or maybe it's the other way around. I checked when I had better connection earlier today.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Trump decertifies treaty with Iran

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:13 am

12:53 PM, Whitehouse, Trump announced he's "decertifying" the JCPOA nuclear treaty with Iran. He's using events from the 1980s and early 90s to justify doing so. He's bringing up the chants of Death to America in the 80s as justification
This means the treaty goes to Congress. He's demanding Congress somehow put "more teeth" in the treaty, although we have nothing to bargain with. Iran has been living up to the deal scrupulously, but he's claiming they're not living up to the "spirit" of the deal and demanding the treaty somehow address every grievance the US has ever had with Iran.

DDonovanKinsolving
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Re: Trump decertifys treaty with Iran

Post by DDonovanKinsolving » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:56 am

Jupiter Sets at Dawn wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:13 am
Iran has been living up to the deal scrupulously, but he's claiming they're not living up to the "spirit" of the deal and demanding the treaty somehow address every grievance the US has ever had with Iran.
There are many issues going on with this, and I'll try not to vent too much non-astrologically.

First, look at this in terms of "the art of the deal." This isn't the last word, it's the opening negotiation. Who is he negotiating with? Iran? Congress? Someone else? Lots of players at once? This sort of consideration is appropriate for astrologers, especially as character analysis.

Second: Personally, this is very hard for me to follow, since I like to know what I'm getting up front and I'm not good at haggling. Granted, a President doesn't have the luxury of being that open.

Third: I agree, a lot of that stuff is so old. What have they done lately? And some of this I'm dubious about, but then what do I know? OTOH, we know that many key damning "proofs" have been totally manufactured. I know that in politics, there are two reasons for doing something: the reasons that are publicly announced that sound good to get people to go along, and the real reasons.

Fourth: I think this argument of "going against the spirit of the agreement" is totally bogus. That's what treaties are for: to nail down what is expected, in concrete terms. One side's idea of the "spirit" almost certainly will differ from the other side's. But then, this isn't really a treaty.

Fifth: We come around to an issue that can perhaps be studied astrologically. Pres. Trump has been taking actions that go to the heart of the USA's Constitutional system of divided powers. Contrary to the meme that Trump is "literally Hitler," in yesterday's actions with the ACA and today's speech about the Iran agreement, Trump is trying to return responsibility to the proper authority, namely Congress. Pres. Obama eventually took the approach that 'if Congress can't do it, I will.' But Trump seems to be moving it back to 'it's Congress's job and they'll have to work it out.'

It's a gradual series of moves, seemingly not intended to be a wrecking ball.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Somalia bombings

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:40 am

October 14, 2017, hour unknown Mogadishu, Somalia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2 ... u_bombings

At least 277 died [now 512] from two explosions yesterday in Mogadishu. Somalia (the capital). At least 300 more were wounded. Extensive damage hit many buildings, This is "one of the deadliest attacks to hit the capital... since an Islamist insurgency began in 2007." (The first explosion occurred in a section of the city with many government buildings while the tipped-off police were pursing the explosives-laden truck. The second explosion was a few minutes after the first, in an adjacent part of the city.)

I'll examine this after I get back home in a week.

ADDED EARLY OCTOBER 21:
The CANSOLAR sets the long-term picture, with Uranus (0°45'), Sun (0°47'), Mars (2°33'), and Moon (4°24') all angular (and Pluto more widely so), with several tight aspects among the first four, ecliptically and mundanely (especially Sun-Uranus 03', Moon-Mars < 2°, Mars-Uranus 26', and various midpoint hits).

The persisting lunar ingress in force is the ARILUNAR, with Moon (1°09'), Uranus (1°31'), Jupiter, and Pluto foreground - Moon-Uranus conjunction 0°22' in mundo, nearly exact to Ascendant, and, of course, the strong Jupiter-Uranus opposition.

With a dormant CapQ, the CanQ is savage, with a partile Cansolar Mars-Uranus square on the angles, joined by transiting Uranus (and, more distantly, ingress Sun). Against expectations, transiting Jupiter remains in orb of conjunct Cansolar Ascendant, but with transiting Uranus square Cansolar MC.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Australia-Bali aircraft incidents

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Sunday, October 15, 2017, Flight QZ535, bound for the Indonesian island of Bali, turned back 25 minutes after take-off on Sunday. It had taken off from the Perth airport about 9:30 AM, and 25 minutes into the flight dropped 20,000 feet. Oxygen masks dropped, and visibly upset flight attendants, at least one in tears, told passengers to fasten their seat belts, don the masks and remain seated. Frightened passengers texted their goodbyes to relatives, but the plane returned to Perth safely.

According to BBC news Australia "In June, an AirAsia X flight on its way to Bali was also forced to turn back to Perth after an engine problem left it "shaking like a washing machine".
In December 2014, an AirAsia plane crashed into the Java Sea, killing all 162 people on board after the aircraft's rudder control system malfunctioned during the flight."

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Raqqa liberated

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:51 am

This morning, the U.S. announced that American-led troops have completely liberated Raqqa, Syria, the effective and symbolic ISIL capital. This is a significant blow to the Islamic State.

This should show in some fashion in charts for Washington and Raqqa.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Napa-Sonoma Fires (Tubbs Fire)

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:35 am

I have moved all this content to its own thread here:
http://solunars.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1754
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Australia-Bali aircraft incidents

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:45 am

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:44 pm
Sunday, October 15, 2017, Flight QZ535, bound for the Indonesian island of Bali, turned back 25 minutes after take-off on Sunday. It had taken off from the Perth airport about 9:30 AM, and 25 minutes into the flight dropped 20,000 feet. Oxygen masks dropped, and visibly upset flight attendants, at least one in tears, told passengers to fasten their seat belts, don the masks and remain seated. Frightened passengers texted their goodbyes to relatives, but the plane returned to Perth safely.
Since we don't have a location for this terrifying but ultimately happy event (they got back just fine), let's look at it for Perth where flight control was surely monitoring the event at 9:55 AM.

The CANSOLAR is the only important solar ingress, and it does have Pluto closely rising, then a mix of Sun, Mars, and Jupiter more widely foreground and in mundane square. Sun and, especially, Mars squares Uranus. Without picking too many nits, the context seems appropriate for a freaky event that is accident-like and ultimately is positive - I suspect, in part, from competent if not heroic pilots.

The CAPSOLAR for Perth has the Jupiter-Uranus opposition square Ascendant just a bit wider than I'd like to see it. More relevant, though, the non-dormant CANLUNAR was right on the mark with, again, a freaky yet ultimately positive transportation event:

Sun on EP (0°01')
Pluto on IC (0°01')
Uranus on Dsc (0°34')
-- Uranus-Pluto sq. (0°35' in mundo)
Mercury on Asc (1°50')
-- Mercury-Pluto sq. (1°49' in mundo)
-- Sun-Mercury conj. (2°17' in mundo)
-- Mercury-Uranus op. (2°24' in mundo)
-- Sun-Pluto sq. (2°52')
Jupiter on Asc (3°11')
-- Jupiter-Uranus op. (2°38' in mundo)
Moon-Uranus sq. (1°49')
Moon-Mercury sq. (2°18')

It was also a "lucky day." CapQ MC was square transiting Jupiter (1°35').
According to BBC news Australia "In June, an AirAsia X flight on its way to Bali was also forced to turn back to Perth after an engine problem left it "shaking like a washing machine".
In December 2014, an AirAsia plane crashed into the Java Sea, killing all 162 people on board after the aircraft's rudder control system malfunctioned during the flight."
I have written this up in full here:
http://solunars.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1755
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Indonesia fireworks factory explosion

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:47 pm

October 26, 2017, 10:00 AM, Kosambi, Indonesia

I have moved the entire discussion to here:
http://solunars.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1773
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Catalonia votes independence

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:31 am

At 9:50 AM EDT, NY Times broke the news that Catalonia's parliament has voted its independence from Spain, declaring the formation of the Catalan Republic. Predictably, the Spanish government is now moving to secure control of the area: The Spanish parliament voted 2314 to 47 to give the president extraordinary powers to suppress the secession.

This should be examined for Madrid, as an impact on Spain, and for Barcelona, as a local event. As the news broke in the Times at 3:50 PM CEDT, I'll use 3:30 PM as the estimated time this all came to a head.

For Madrid...
Since the October 1 popular vote for secession, the Libsolar has occurred with Mars closely rising, so violence, military intervention, etc. are no surprise (I think I predicted this turn of events a couple of weeks ago, somewhere in this thread). The new Caplunar (last night) is dormant, and the persisting Libunar has Neptune on IC: At the least, conditions are uncertain and emotionally volatile. (Neptune also continues to transit the Cansolar Descendant.)

In Madrid, the vote occurred, CqpQ MC conjoined Uranus, WP conjoined Pluto - there's the severance - while a transiting Sun-Jupiter conjunction squared Ascendant. (I'd have expected this ore for Barcelona.) - But the aggressive response is shown especially by transiting Mars crossing Capsolar Ascendant - it also gives a broad sense of crisis.

For Madrid...
Barcelona is 41N23, 2E11. Madrid is 40N24, 3W41. Several degrees separate the angles.

The first significant difference is in the Libsolar. Where Madrid has Mars, Barcelona has Venus: Specifically, a Moon-Venus conjunction rises. (It's partile in mundo, with Venus 0°15' above Asc, Moon 0°19' below, their midpoint only 0°02' from the angle). To them, this is an occasion of celebration and great happiness, according to this chart.

But that probably won't be the short-term effect. The new Caplunar, mere hours before the separatist vote, has Saturn 1°09' from square Ascendant. This shows both separation and likely hardship from the Madrid retaliation.

"Divorce" itself shows in the CapQ, with MC conjunct transitinig Uranus (partile) for liberty. The CanQ tells the other side of the story, with EP conjunct transiting Saturn.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Catalonia votes independence

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:31 am
This should be examined for Madrid, as an impact on Spain, and for Barcelona, as a local event. As the news broke in the Times at 3:50 PM CEDT, I'll use 3:30 PM as the estimated time this all came to a head.
Not a bad estimate, it turns out. In Tropical mundane astrology circles, there was a long discussion this afternoon about the birth time of the new nation. Several people were monitoring the voting, others were living in Spain and getting news as it broke (NYT actually broke it earlier than the official 4:00 PM announcement in Europe).

The most record was from Anna Cristal de Lyon, who wrote, "This was a secret vote with paper ballots. The vote started at 15:08 and ended at 15:15:54. Sorting and counting of the ballots started at 15:21:15 and ended at 15:27:26. Result of the vote was announced at 15:27:41."

She gave the coordinates for the Catalonian parliament as 41N23'17", 2E11'20".

If interested, you might note this as the birth chart for the new republic.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Mass Shooting Lower Manhattan, NYC

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Just after 3PM Eastern police responded to a mass casualty incident at Chambers and West in lower Manhattan, Tribeca area. Several people are injured. Reports say multiple people are dead. Many people shot were on bicycle. A Home Depot truck was apparently used to ram people, and then the driver got out and began shooting.

ETA: Driver is alive and in custody. He drove several blocks down a bike path. He may not have been shooting, but he was shot.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Mass Shooting Lower Manhattan, NYC

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:18 pm

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:02 pm
Just after 3PM Eastern police responded to a mass casualty incident at Chambers and West in lower Manhattan, Tribeca area. Several people are injured. Reports say multiple people are dead. Many people shot were on bicycle. A Home Depot truck was apparently used to ram people, and then the driver got out and began shooting.
Ye gads. -

The Caplunar (month/week) has Mars on IC for NYC in mundane square to Pluto setting. Violent, explosive, stunning.

Transiting Uranus is within 1° of NYC's Capsolar MC, and today was singled out for the city by transiting Sun square Capsolar Ascendant. Pluto continues to transit the Cansolar Descendant.

It looks like the lunar ingress of the week did most of the heavy lifting, on-going transits supported dramatic and shocking events, and simple markers singled today out from other days this week.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:23 pm

Some reports are saying just after 3, others just before 4.
Driver drove 7 blocks down a bike path.
Police are saying it was an intentional act.
At least 6 dead, 15 injured.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:33 pm

NYC Fire Department says they responded just after 3 PM.