Career

Feel free to post your full birthdata & open a discussion on your own chart. Tell us what you've learned from it, ask questions, etc.
easternsun777
Planet Member
Planet Member
Career

Post by easternsun777 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:22 am

I recently took the bar exam in Florida. To be honest I went to law school because I didn’t know what else to do career wise. I do have a certain passion for it, but I’m not sure exactly what field of law I would most enjoy. Can my natal chart give me any insight into this and am I destined to be a lawyer or something else? Thanks! 😊

October 20, 1990
Boca raton, FL
4:30 pm.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Career

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:35 am

easternsun777 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:22 am
I recently took the bar exam in Florida. To be honest I went to law school because I didn’t know what else to do career wise. I do have a certain passion for it, but I’m not sure exactly what field of law I would most enjoy. Can my natal chart give me any insight into this and am I destined to be a lawyer or something else?
Welcome back, Eastern Sun, and congratulations on completing law school.

Have you summered anywhere? Are you planning to stay in Florida or planning to follow the leads (such as the exploding-open legal markets in Texas, since you have Jupiter setting through much of the state; though you have Pluto angular exactly through Dallas and Austin and I don't know quite what to make of that for those big markets)?

As for law in general - you have both Sun and Moon in Libra. That's as good as the luminary picture gets for law. Two separate statistical studies have shown Sun in Libra leading (significantly so) for lawyers. Moon in Libra has a strong attraction to law as well, including great jurists and celebrity-level attorneys such as Chief Justice Rehnquist, both Ruther Bader Ginsburg and Antonio Scalia, and such figures as Daniel Petrocelli. So yes, there is a natural gravitation to law (or at least to the symbol of the scales of justice).

There is one significant thing that you have to deal with (by which I mean, find a way to make this part of yourself work in the field). You have a moderate Moon-Pluto conjunction and a very close Moon-Uranus octile. Your first instinct isn't to confirm to pre-fabricated social and occupational standards. You have a rebellious instinct. While it is quite possible to excel in law as an individual, the main (majority) picture is that - even if you are innovative and creative - law isn't a field where you usually want to look all that innovative and creative. It's a field based upon existing law and precedent for the most part, and (especially in litigation) you usually don't want to be caught with too novel a theory. - Additionally, if you move into a larger firm (and probably even a smaller firm), your best chances of success are to be part of the firm's underlying culture and to forge mentoring relationships - to reach out and connect, being in the mix of what's happening. This is consistent with all of your Libra by itself, but not necessarily with the more loner trend of Moon-Pluto. So assess yourself with regard to all of this and find a path that's authentic to yourself.

As for what kind of law... the main split is three ways: the main split of litigation vs. corporate / transactions, with a third avenue through public service employment (prosecution, public defender, politics, etc.). Starting with the first two, of the hundreds of attorneys I've known well, there is a trend (not universal but very nearly so) for the person's character to match which way they go. In simple (but, I think, realistic) terms, one group of attorneys (litigators) flourishes best if their winning constitutes someone else losing; the other group (transactions) flourishes best if their winning usually constitutes the other parties also winning. I suggest that you search yourself to decide whether you will perform better (across the length of your career) in the former or the latter.

Since your one angular planet is Mars (and it's stationary), we expect your temperament to be competitive, to win as measured by someone else losing to you. As a first impression, that suggests you are best suited for litigation. However, Mars isn't incompatible with the competitive, money-driven worlds of private equity / M&A. Other things in your chart suggest you might flourish dealing with finance and practical distribution of others' resources, and I'd be remiss if I didn't say so.

Finally, the double Libra does have a natural draw to justice, and often social justice and righting public wrongs. If you are passionate about this, then the Mars can be used as a crusader.

In general, though, it looks like you're a battler - with the law being a fertile vehicle of your battling.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

easternsun777
Planet Member
Planet Member

Post by easternsun777 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:53 am

Thanks Jim! I’m always around I just browser more then post. I especially love the mundane forecast as I find them quite accurate.

I have interned with the 11 circuit court in Florida and Children’s court as well in Miami. I plan to stay in Florida though, but the Fort Lauderdale area mainly. Only other place I would possibly consider moving too is Tampa, Fl, or somewhere in North Carolina.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:58 am

A circuit court internship is a nice line on your CV. Perhaps some of what I suggested above will be useful.

Meanwhile, have you seen the new free software forum participant Mikestar13 has been developing? It's called TMSA and there's a forum for it near the top of the list, including download links of the most recent versions. Here's a sample of the reports for your nativity. I find them very useful in assessing a chart quickly.

Code: Select all

Pl Longitude   Lat   Speed    RA    Decl    Azi     Alt     PVL    Ang G
Mo 27Li06'19" 04S44 +11°58' 227°58' 22S46 211°54' +33°40' 231°34'   5%  
Su 02Li34'33" 00S00 +59'40" 205°14' 10S28 240°21' +28°07' 211°35'  39%  
Me 01Li40'02" 00N51 + 1°41' 204°41' 09S21 241°44' +28°22' 211°30'  39%  
Ve 29Vi33'42" 01N12 + 1°15' 202°50' 08S16 243°57' +27°31' 210°07'  41%  
Ma 19Ta56'52" 00S24 - 0'02"  73°18' 22N09   3°54' -41°24'  85°35'  95% F
Ju 16Cn28'00" 00N26 + 7'05" 133°40' 17N52 302°12' -19°00' 157°51'  16%  
Sa 24Sg42'55" 00S04 + 2'41" 290°56' 22S07 142°12' +31°09' 315°24'  14%  
Ur 11Sg32'04" 00S19 + 1'48" 276°43' 23S37 156°49' +36°19' 298°11'  44%  
Ne 17Sg23'03" 00N49 + 0'53" 282°58' 22S05 149°36' +35°11' 305°41'  32%  
Pl 22Li16'30" 14N51 + 2'19" 228°36' 02S37 227°09' +50°28' 238°49'   0%  
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Class 1 Aspects         Class 2 Aspects         Class 3 Aspects     
Mo sx Sa 02°23' 89%      Mo co Pl 04°50' 75%       Me sq Sa 06°57' 13%  
Mo oc Ur 00°34' 94%      Su sq Ur 03°24' 68% M     Sa co Ne 07°20' 44%  
Su co Me 00°04'100% M    Su sq Ne 04°06' 55% M                          
Su co Ve 01°28' 97% M    Me sq Ur 03°20' 70% M                          
Me co Ve 01°24' 97% M    Me sq Ne 04°10' 53% M                          
Ve sq Ur 01°56' 90% M    Ve sq Sa 04°51' 56%                            
Sa sx Pl 02°26' 89%      Ma sx Ju 03°29' 77%                            
                         Ju sq Pl 05°49' 38%                            
                         Ur co Ne 05°51' 64%                            
                         Ne sx Pl 04°53' 55%                            
------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Cosmic State                              
Mo Li  B | oc Ur 00°34'    sx Sa 02°23'    co Pl 04°50'    
         |    Me/Mc 11'd      Su/Mc 39'd      Su/Ma 51'd      Ve/Mc 52'd   
Su Li-   | Mo Li-
         | co Me 00°04'M   co Ve 01°28'M   sq Ur 03°24'M   sq Ne 04°06'M   
         |    Ju/Ne 39'd      Ma/As 47'd   
Me Li    | co Su 00°04'M   co Ve 01°24'M   sq Ur 03°20'M   sq Ne 04°10'M   
         | sq Sa 06°57'    
         |    Ju/Ne 15'd      Su/Ve 36'd   
Ve Vi-   | Mo Li+ Su Li+
         | co Me 01°24'M   co Su 01°28'M   sq Ur 01°56'M   sq Sa 04°51'    
         |    Ju/Ur 34'd   
Ma Ta- F | sx Ju 03°29'    
         |    Ne/Pl 07'd      Mo/Ur 38'd   
Ju Cn+ B | sx Ma 03°29'    sq Pl 05°49'    
         |    Ne/As 36'd   
Sa Sg  B | Mo Li+ Su Li+
         | sx Mo 02°23'    sx Pl 02°26'    sq Ve 04°51'    co Ne 07°20'    
         | sq Me 06°57'    
Ur Sg    | oc Mo 00°34'    sq Ve 01°56'M   sq Me 03°20'M   sq Su 03°24'M   
         | co Ne 05°51'    
Ne Sg    | co Ur 05°51'    sq Su 04°06'M   sx Pl 04°53'    sq Me 04°10'M   
         | co Sa 07°20'    
         |    Sa/Ur 44'd      Ma/Ju 49'd   
Pl Li- B | Mo Li- Su Li-
         | sx Sa 02°26'    co Mo 04°50'    sx Ne 04°53'    sq Ju 05°49'    
As Aq    |    Ur/Pl 09'd   
Mc Sc    |    Ve/Ju 06'd      Sa/Pl 34'd      Mo/Ne 41'd   
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

easternsun777
Planet Member
Planet Member

Post by easternsun777 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:22 pm

Thanks for the interpretation of my chart. This is very insightful and spot on. I’m a pretty laid back person and dislike the stuffiness of the field at times so I can see where the rebellious nature comes from.

I’ll take a look at the software, should be good practice for reading my chart!

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:43 pm

easternsun777 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:22 pm
I’ll take a look at the software, should be good practice for reading my chart!
To lead your eyes along the path of the report I posted: In the top section, you see in the upper left that Moon and Sun are in Libra. In the last column (G for "ground") only Mars is marked F. So we start with a double-Libra with a foreground Mars.

In this top section, you can find other points of interest. In the Longitude column, of course, you can see other sign placements. In the Speed column you can see Mars is moving only 0°00'02"/day, i.e., is stationary. (In contrast, even slow Neptune moves 53"/day.)

Among the aspects, Class 1 are the closest and most important. Everything in that first column is strong and important, though the 100% score on the 0°04' Sun-Mercury conjunction (the M means it's a mundane aspect) stands out, followed closely by Sun-Venus and Mercury-Venus. Etc.

While the top two sections make it easy to filter out the very few things that have the strongest mark on character, the last section - the Cosmic State report - let you do a deep dive on each planet individually. To see how your Moon was configured, I didn't have to take the time to calculate how close the Moon-Pluto was, whether it was closer mundanely what else went with it - at a glace, I see that your Moon is in Libra, background, with a very close octile to Uranus (and the Moon-Pluto there but weaker). At a glance, I can see that the foreground Mars is in Taurus (its detriment, hence the minus sign), with its one aspect being a healthy, supportive, moderate sextile with Jupiter. (Had it been a hard aspect, I'd have leaned more on a passion for social justice, rather than just quietly noting that the Libra luminaries lean that way.) If I wanted to dive further into the midpoints, the next line tells me Ma = Ne/Pl = Mo/Ur. (And so forth.)

You can draw deep, complex information from this Cosmic State report, or make cut-to-the-quick assessments. Look at your Mercury line. It's in Libra (no B or F, so you know it's middleground), then - from the aspects - you see that the main thing is that your Mercury is a strong part of your identity and quite positive - and, then, that you're also into some weird (even unreasonable) stuff. (See it for yourself. This, or similar words, tend to jump off the line.) With your Venus (though it's in Virgo, its Fall) we are reminded at once that Sun and Moon are in Libra which is a plus (+) for Venus' importance, and then you can see its basic strength and positive bent from the aspects (though there is a moderate square to Saturn, it's weakest of the four aspects: present but not the dominant voice with the Venus). And so forth.

We've tried to create these so that the eye is led quickly and easily to draw the right conclusions (the sequence in which information is presented to the brain). Mike has done a wonderful job of selecting and presenting it.

If you have questions on its use, you can also start a thread in the TMSA sub-forum.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

easternsun777
Planet Member
Planet Member

Post by easternsun777 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:47 pm

I really like this, I find it easier to read and understand after your explanation. I will definitely be using this, thanks again!

easternsun777
Planet Member
Planet Member

Post by easternsun777 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:09 am

I wanted to write an update to this thread and also ask a follow-up question. I am proud to tell you all I passed The Florida Bar Exam, and I am officially an attorney! With that said, I have begun the hunt for a job. I wondered if someone could tell me if this period (astrologically) would be conducive to finding a job. In other words, are my stars aligned so that I will get a job quickly or have to wait months. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:29 am

easternsun777 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:09 am
I wanted to write an update to this thread and also ask a follow-up question. I am proud to tell you all I passed The Florida Bar Exam, and I am officially an attorney! With that said, I have begun the hunt for a job. I wondered if someone could tell me if this period (astrologically) would be conducive to finding a job. In other words, are my stars aligned so that I will get a job quickly or have to wait months. I appreciate any help you can provide.
Congratulations!

Starting with the basics, transiting Pluto has recently passed its square to your Sun, suggesting that the last couple of years have redefined your sense of identity and direction. It will come back over the summer and completely end by the end of 2022, suggesting that much of your long-term direction will be settled by the time for annual fall associate hiring season is concluded. - Similarly, Uranus makes its first opposition to your Pluto this spring so some really significant changes in your life circumstances are afoot. (I can't say what these are since their very nature makes them unlikely and surprising. A simple example might be that, despite your conviction to not leave Florida, you suddenly have reason to do so. Or it could be other significant changes that surprise you. In any case, an important life adventure is beginning.) I can also tell you that Uranus opposes your Moon summer of 2023, which will begin one of the most interesting, eye-opening periods of your life.

On shorter-term luck and unluck, transiting Saturn has moved away for a while, though in August it comes back to square your Moon. If you are settled in a job ahead of that, it's probably a period of really hard work and a chance to prove yourself and bring out your best work. The next Jupiter transit is in mid-to-late June when it squares your Uranus, which could indeed be a happy, lucky break.

Mars squares your Mars this week, marking the last quarter of your current personal Mars circuit, which I've seen often be an employment cycle in the sense of where you are putting your energies and concentrating most so - regardless of whether there are short-term prospects, you need to be hitting the streets and "out there" immediately, shaking a few dominoes lose that can fall your way later. Your Mars return is in mid-September but (at the moment) my impression is that this won't be a hire point (because if you aren't hired before August, I don't think it's going to happen IN August with Saturn square your Moon). If you're in a position, it could just be the expected ramp-up.

So much for the transits.

Progressed Moon is currently conjunct your Neptune and 7°(7 months) from your Saturn. I would expect this to be confusing and unclear right now. This would mostly show psychological states of uncertainty and wavering confidence, but I'm not sure (given the transits) that it shows outward events. It may even be about quite different (more personal, emotional) sides of your life.

Your current solar return is positive with transiting Jupiter rising exactly square your Moon (and natal Jupiter nor far from an angle). The year as a whole should be lucky, prosperous, one you look back on favorably. Your next SSR, in October, is about aggression, competition, and perhaps struggle if you have it in or near Bocca Raton (natal Mars exactly rises). If you want to shift this, y you could take a birthday trip to San Francisco (Sun-Venus on Dsc) or near NYC (perhaps Connecticut, Jupiter on Zenith).
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:44 am

If you stay near Boca Raton, here are some quick summaries of what's ahead based on SLRs ad Demi-SLRs. I'll only mention outstanding ones.

4/18 SLR. Not at all the chart I'd expect for the good news you got, since Saturn is exactly on MC square Moon. I'd expect a pretty bad month from this (and apparently I'd have been wrong).

5/1 Demi. Mars setting. Not a friendly two weeks. With this during the current SLR, be careful!

5/15 SLR. Uranus setting, full moon across angles. Even with moderately foreground Saturn, you should get some good face time. Somehow this feels more positive to me than the math of it looks.

6/12 SLR. Again, Saturn on MC (Mercury on EP). Generally bad (though so is your current one, and you've had good news this month).

6/25 Demi. Uranus exactly rising, a little Moon and Pluto, Definitely surprises and changes, which could be that you're moving somewhere.

7/9 SLR. More Uranus, more Moon, your Jupiter isn't far from the angles, t Saturn moderately strong. (The balance is difficult on this one: I think I'd say good practical news that doesn't make you particularly happy.)

8/9 SLR. Jupiter square MC. This is good. (And you can use this in August, since Saturn squares your Moon all month. Hopefully you're settled in by now.)

9/2 SLE. Natal Jupiter rising. Ther's a little grumbly stuff but overall you feel pretty good about yourself.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

easternsun777
Planet Member
Planet Member

Post by easternsun777 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:07 am

Thank you, as always, Jim, for your deep analysis. Looking at my mars week, I have five interviews lined up next week, pretty much back to back. So, you can say I was hitting the streets enough to shake something loose.

I’m curious how the week of May 1st will go since you mentioned it’s not a particularly good time for me. I’ll try to be extra careful with my dealings with others.

Although I will say ever since I passed the bar exam, the past two weeks have been blessings upon blessings as if the universe is now cutting me some slack.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:33 am

easternsun777 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:07 am
Although I will say ever since I passed the bar exam, the past two weeks have been blessings upon blessings as if the universe is now cutting me some slack.
I think it important that we acknowledge when expected results are quite wrong. I have no explanation for this being a positive time for you, given your Moon-Neptune progressions, primary / solar arc MC conjunct your Saturn, etc. I can see it being a time of hard work and accomplishment, but admittedly haven't a clue why there is a sense of blessing.

Please take my bafflement into consideration as you feel your way through any advice I gave you above.

Specifically, for someone born October 20, 1990, 4:30 PM EDT, Boca Raton, FL (this is all correct, right?) currently living in Boca Raton, FL (right?), the two to four weeks beginning April 17 or 18 would have been expected to be unusually tough, blocking, and disappointing - even hurtful. Your lunar return on the morning of April 18 has Saturn 0°00' from Midheaven for Boca Raton, in the most martial degree of the zodiac (28° Capricorn), barely a degree past square to your Moon. I'm quite surprised you got good news during this period or that things are currently going swimmingly, so my worst self is hoping you'll tell me I screwed up your birth data or location or the timing of the event. Your current SLR has factors that can be considered life-changing, eye-opening, terribly interesting, but nothing that speaks of outright luck, benefit, or blessing.

In any case, you have my congratulations and good wishes. Don't let my confusion over this one chart get in your way. :)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

easternsun777
Planet Member
Planet Member

Post by easternsun777 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:36 am

Ah ok! So I reside in Plantation, Florida. It’s about 20 miles south of Boca Raton. Not sure if that changes anything significantly.

I got confirmation that I passed the bar on April 11th. Not sure if this helps either but I was in Raleigh, NC when I got the news.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:49 am

easternsun777 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:36 am
Ah ok! So I reside in Plantation, Florida. It’s about 20 miles south of Boca Raton. Not sure if that changes anything significantly.
Not enough to matter (but sincere thanks for trying). Saturn is 0°14' off MC, still super-strong.

[quopte]I got confirmation that I passed the bar on April 11th.[/quote]
This does make a difference (since I wouldn't have thought the Saturn would go with good news of a win). Both the lunar and demi-lunar have transiting Sun most closely angular. The March 22 SLR is mixed - a lot of anxiety, uncertainty, jumbled thoughts or communications (perhaps while anxiously anticipating the results?). The April 4 Demi-SLR is more straightforward with transiting Sun only 0°04' from EP conjunct Mercury on an angle - Sun angular tending to put you in the spotlight, Sun-Mercury angular meaning such things as "an important communication from someone in authority," and the whole having a business feel. Natal Venus is < 3° from an angle for simple happiness, with natal Sun-Mercury-Venus being more generally (moderately) angular. The Mars-Saturn conjunction, through exact, is background.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:24 pm

easternsun777 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:09 am
I wondered if someone could tell me if this period (astrologically) would be conducive to finding a job. In other words, are my stars aligned so that I will get a job quickly or have to wait months.
Just because I like to keep testing the system, it occurred to me to treat your posted question as a horary question. Please understand this is an experimental approach of "rational horary" that recognizes the moment a question is externalized into the world is, first, an event chart - read in highly conventional ways - and, secondly, can be read with some of the basic principles of horary astrology as long as we avoid the monstrosity of house rulerships.

Your question was posted April 29, 2022, 11:09 AM, Plantation (Broward Co.), FL. Read as a conventional chart, its only angularity is a Venus-Jupiter conjunction near MC, a little more than 1° wide. First impression is that it's a positive, upbeat moment. Furthermore, the conjunction is in Pisces where Venus is exalted and some people still consider Jupiter is dignified. - We have to be a little skeptical at first since the post was also your happy announcement of happy news.

Read as a horary, the Gemini Asc is a little surprising - perhaps it refers to commerce but not usually to the this particular question. However, the chart seems to be talking about the right subject (career) with the all-important Moon in 10th house.

Within this, the chart seems internally to be talking about the right topic. The only partile aspect ("What's happening right now?") is Jupiter sextile Pluto - your ambitions etc. The closest separating aspects ("What's recently happened") either fit the topic or are indifferent.

This leaves us to look at the near future and our eyes come right back to that powerful, dignified, elevated Venus-Jupiter conjunction applying by 1°10' . This is an extremely positive sign. Other close applying aspects include Venus-Pluto. Wider applying aspects include Moon square Pluto (3°25'), Sun conjunct Uranus (5°11'), Mercury sextile Venus (3°11'), and Mars sextile Uranus (3°30').

Based only on this experimental technique, I'd have to say that circumstances at the time the question was asked suggest a very fortunate, dignified outcome in just over one unit of time (Venus-Jupiter applying 1°10') - probably just a little over one month. A lot of other commotion and reorganization of your life (probably including living conditions) occurs a little over three months from the time the question is asked.

FWIW.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

easternsun777
Planet Member
Planet Member

Post by easternsun777 » Fri May 06, 2022 11:02 am

So, this week has been one hell of a ride! I received multiple job offers, and I officially accepted a position at a boutique law firm in Boca.

Thank you for your excellent astrologer skills!

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri May 06, 2022 11:04 am

easternsun777 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:02 am
So, this week has been one hell of a ride! I received multiple job offers, and I officially accepted a position at a boutique law firm in Boca.
Whoohoo! Way to go.

(So much for all my concern about the current lunar and all my remarks about relocating.)

When do you start? What will your practice area be? (I know this was still in the "deciding" phase not long ago.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

easternsun777
Planet Member
Planet Member

Post by easternsun777 » Fri May 06, 2022 11:36 am

I am moving but just to the Boca area! I start this coming Monday, the firm does a little of everything in the realm of civil litigation. The main areas are estate planning, probate and real estate.

I didn’t want to be pigeonholed into a specific area of law so I thought this was the best firm to be with. I get exposed to all types of law and even some appellate work.