"Taking the Kid Gloves Off Astrology"

Q&A and discussion on the Planets.
Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
"Taking the Kid Gloves Off Astrology"

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:32 pm

I am persistently, actively protective of copyright and a vocal defender. The following item is of enormous importance to astrology and essentially unavailable (a sparse find on Amazon, for example), so I'm going to make an exception, at least for now (i.e., do what I wouldn't let anyone else do on a site I'm responsible for). If a rights holder objects to the following, I will remove the links. Anyone here should feel at liberty to communicate this with any possible rights-holder. I also encourage you to go buy up whatever copies you can find on Amazon and elsewhere - get a physical copy or two in your hands.

Taking the Kid Gloves Off Astrology
by Garth Allen (Donald A. Bradley)
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ansnmu2xbktakoNNq2FvGZFvqNi1Fg
[EDIT 8/17: The original links on Moonmuses.com are long gone, as is the site. I have removed the links below. Please see lower in the thread for several other ways to get this.]
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: "Taking the Kid Gloves Off Astrology"

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:34 pm

The Scales Both Ways found this item on Amazon. One current link is here:
https://www.amazon.com/Taking-Kid-Glove ... 498&sr=8-1

I encourage people to buy this physical book from legitimate sources and keep it by your side.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:53 pm

Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:35 am

Garth Allen, in each of these articles, "tried to segregate a single keyword which holds true for each planet viewed from any perspective." I realized last night that I've never pulled this entire list in one place, and it might be interesting. Here is his single keyword for each of the nonluminary planets. [I HAVE TO GO BACK AND DIG A FEW OF THESE OUT TO MAKE SURE I GET THE RIGHT ONE, SO IT MAY TAKE A BIT TO GET A COMPLETE LIST.]

Mercury - Interpretation
Venus - Receptivity
Mars - Opportunism
Jupiter - Compliance
Saturn - Autonomy
Uranus - Reality
Neptune -
Pluto - Genesis
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:20 am

I have prepared a new, clean copy of the entire work with a brief Introduction. You may download it here:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ansnmu2xbktakoNNq2FvGZFvqNi1Fg

As mentioned at the top, I don't like having to give these alternative routes to information that might still be under valid copyright. If any legitimate rights claimant objects to me, I will remove this hosted document. I am hoping we will have the tacit blessing to continue distributing this 60-year-old work that has been out of print for decades and is of enormous value.

Here is the current draft of my introductory remarks.
These extraordinary articles by Garth Allen (Donald Bradley) are among the most important in astrology’s vast literature. Originally appearing in American Astrology Magazine from October 1955 through May 1956, they were republished in the 1970s, incorporating supplemental material the author had penned in the interim. In 1975, they were issued in book form by Clancy Publications. They have long been out of print.

One article is devoted to each of the eight non-luminary planets. These are among the most lucid, comprehensive, and expressive material on the planets ever written, partly because of their actual content and partly because they stir the reader to thought and reflection. They are also some of the earliest published material framing astrology in terms of depth psychology, one of the 20th Century’s great emerging new fields; and they are an early, powerful voice for the necessary eventual convergence of astrology and psychology.

Their weaknesses are small, and are a natural consequence of the passage of time. One must occasionally remember that they were written in the mid-1950s. Cultural references, social context, and language standards (e.g., on gender) are anchored in that era. To the author’s credit, these only occasionally intrude. Also, much of the theoretical framework is from psychological theories no longer in vogue (e.g., Freud’s model of early development stages mostly has been superseded by later theories), although, on close reading, I do not find that this detracts much from the presentation, and not at all from the power of the articles to get the reader to think!

Just remember that models – whether astrological or psychological models – are merely organizing frameworks of thought, representing the terrain without pretending to be the terrain itself. They are maps.

In the intervening 60 years, some words have fallen so out of vogue that you may not find them in dictionaries. The most important of these, for the articles following, is ergie. It comes from the same root as erg (and the center of energy), and represents the fundamental psychological energy or impulse behind a planet. If you trace the author’s thoughts carefully, you will find a model in which an ergie (primal psychic energy natural to the planet) ignites an urge (a natural, instinctive impulse), which in turn stimulates a fundamental need. Behavior typical of the planet comes from these urges and needs impacting, interacting with, and adapting to one’s environment, especially during key development stages and other experiences that resonate similarly within the psyche.

I hope these articles bring you the enjoyment, excitement, discovery, and empowerment in astrology they have brought me for over 40 years.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Danica
3rd Warning Suspension Likely
3rd Warning  Suspension Likely

Post by Danica » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:35 am
Garth Allen, in each of these articles, "tried to segregate a single keyword which holds true for each planet viewed from any perspective." I realized last night that I've never pulled this entire list in one place, and it might be interesting. Here is his single keyword for each of the nonluminary planets. [I HAVE TO GO BACK AND DIG A FEW OF THESE OUT TO MAKE SURE I GET THE RIGHT ONE, SO IT MAY TAKE A BIT TO GET A COMPLETE LIST.]

Mercury - Interpretation
Venus - Receptivity
Mars - Opportunism
Jupiter -
Saturn - Autonomy
Uranus -
Neptune -
Pluto - Genesis
I just browsed through my copy - this booklet is so incredibly GREAT, a veritable treasurehouse - and looked at what I have underlined before. Possible keywords for Ju, Ur & Ne:

Jupiter - accretion/nutrition; religious urge
Uranus - zest
Neptune - intrauterine bliss / Nirvana complex
Amate Se Mutuo Cum Corda Ardentia
http://siderallia.blogspot.com/

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Don't forget the Addendum on Jupiter posted in AA in 1956 when looking for keywords.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:57 pm

Danica wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:26 pm
I just browsed through my copy - this booklet is so incredibly GREAT, a veritable treasurehouse - and looked at what I have underlined before. Possible keywords for Ju, Ur & Ne:

Jupiter - accretion/nutrition; religious urge
Uranus - zest
Neptune - intrauterine bliss / Nirvana complex
Thank you :) Just to be clear, though, at the end of the Pluto article, DAB wrote:
In each of our articles in this series we have tried to segregate a single keyword which holds true for each planet viewed from any perspective; our choice for an all-embracing clue for Pluto is simply “Genesis.”
So I wanted to list that one word which he identified and explicitly said was his "all-embracing" single word for each planet. The thing is (as I learned), he wasn't as clear about this in half the articles as he was in the other half, so I've had to dig, reread, etc. and, still, make some educated guesses about what he meant in places.

These are all great words, though :)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Jupiter Sets at Dawn wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:03 pm
Don't forget the Addendum on Jupiter posted in AA in 1956 when looking for keywords.
Most of this was incorporated into the articles when they were republished in the 1970s. They're already in the text :)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Venus_Daily
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by Venus_Daily » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Love "The Addendum to Jupiter", and it's really odd how Jupiter seems to be representative of symbiosis and the theory of endosymbiosis in evolutionary biology.
It's obvious that these astral energies guided events here on earth even when we did not have a consciousness.