Interpreting Lunar Returns

Q&A and discussion on Sidereal Lunar Returns.
Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Interpreting Lunar Returns

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Recommended protocol for analyzing a
Sidereal Lunar Return (SLR)

1. Tabulate angularities and foreground aspects.
    1. Determine which natal and SLR planets are foreground/angular.
    2. Identify all conjunctions, oppositions, and squares between them (transit-to-transit, transit-to-natal, and natal-to-natal).
    3. NOTE: "Aspect," whenever used here, means either ecliptical (celestial longitude) or mundane (prime vertical longitude) interchangeably. There is no difference: They are equal. Both are important.
  2. Make a quick assessment of whether this likely will be experienced as a good month or a bad month.
    1. Good month: Predominance of foreground natal and SLR benefics (Venus, Jupiter, Uranus).
    2. Bad month: Predominance of foreground natal and SLR malefics (Mars, Saturn, Neptune).
    3. Mixed month: A roughly even mix of the two sets.
  3. Derive your primary interpretation from the planets (natal and SLR) that are foreground in the SLR.
    1. Planets closest to angles have the most say. Those most angular usually set the entire tone. Weight each planet proportionate to its relative angularity.
    2. Interpret SLR planets as circumstances the world brings to the individual. Natal planets represent the individual's reactions to these circumstances or, sometimes, the actions that invoke them.
    3. If the same planet is strongly foreground in both the natal (inner) and SLR (outer) wheels, it may take on unusual significance as a theme planet.
  4. Observe which SLR (i.e., transiting) planets are background and whether they color the picture thus far obtained.
    1. If benefics are foreground, see whether malefics are background (and vice versa).
    2. Think of planets as pairs of opposites. See whether one, the other, neither, or both are foreground. For example, note the difference of:
      • Venus foreground, Mars background
      • Venus background, Mars foreground
      • Venus and Mars both foreground
      • Venus and Mars both background
      • Don't dwell too much on this point; but it may be helpful in sorting through complex charts.
  5. Note conjunctions, oppositions, and squares between/among foreground planets (ideally 3° orb, may extend to 5-6° especially if few aspects)
    1. Transit to transit: Aspects between foreground SLR planets clarify what to expect from the world. These tell the primary "What will happen to me?" story.
    2. Transit to natal: Foreground SLR (transiting) planets aspecting foreground natal planets are especially dynamic.
    3. Natal to natal: Foreground natal aspects show what comes forth from us to inaugurate or in response to the new circumstances, or what elements of our character are most pronounced during the term of the return.
  6. Pause to ensure the delineation is consistent and makes sense.
  7. Consider any remaining conjunctions, oppositions, or squares within about 1°. These represent background (backdrop) considerations, including ongoing outer planet transits. These are not strong enough to alter the essential nature (primary themes) of the SLR but routinely add useful details.

In brief...
  1. Make a quick assessment: Will it likely be experienced as a good month or a bad month.
  2. Note which planets (both natal and SLR) are foreground in the SLR. Frame your primary delineation around these.
  3. Observe which SLR planets are background and whether this colors the picture obtained thus far.
  4. Note conjunctions, oppositions, and squares between foreground planets (SLR to natal, SLR to SLR, natal to natal)
  5. Consider any remaining partile hard aspects as background (backdrop) factors.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
How I "break down" a Lunar Return

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Here is how I mechanically prepare the SLR to prepare for the analysis outlined above.

1. Determine what is angular foreground.
Identify which planets are angular/foreground, both natal and transiting. (Natal planets have to be corrected for precession before calculating their mundane positions.) As with other phases of astrology:

Proximity to MC, IC, Asc, Dsc is taken in prime vertical longitude, with a maximum orb of 10°.
Conjunctions with EP or WP are taken in right ascension, with a maximum orb of 3°.
Squares to Asc or MC are taken in longitude with a maximum orb of 3° for square to Asc and 2° for square to MC.

2. Determine aspects between/among foreground planets.
Transit-to-transit, natal-to-natal, transit-to-natal. These are valid both in longitude and in mundo, according to whichever has the smaller orb. Tabulate these out to 5° orb, though the closer ones will be more important.

3. Determine other partile transits.
If any other partile transits occur, tabulate them. If not foreground, they tend to represent "background considerations" that are important for the life of the return.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Example

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm

An example in breaking these down:

Abraham Lincoln was born February 12, 1809, near Hodgenville, KY at "sunup," which was 6:54 AM.

He died in Washington, DC April 15, 1865, 7:22 AM, after having been shot the night before.

His final Sidereal Lunar Return occurred March 22, 1965, 14:03:23 UT, Washington, DC.

TRANSITING PLANTS ANGULAR
t Pluto on Asc +0°13'
t Venus on EP-a +2°20'

NATAL PLANETS ANGULAR
r Saturn on Dsc -1°49'
r Uranus on WP +0°58'
r Neptune on Dsc -3°57'

IMMEDIATE BACKGROUND
t Neptune 0°40' from XII
t Mercury 2°07' from XII
t Sun 5°32' from XII
t Moon 5°43' from IX

FOREGROUND ASPECTS
t Pluto op. r Uranus 1°24'
t Venus op. r Uranus 1°37' mundo
t Pluto op. r Saturn 2°02' mundo
r Saturn-Neptune conj. 2°08' mundo
t Venus-Pluto conj. 2°34' (in RA)

OTHER PARTILE ASPECTS
t Mars-Uranus conj. 0°07'
t Mercury conj. r Venus 0°16' mundo
t Neptune op. r Venus 0°28'
t Saturn sq. r Moon 1°04'
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu
Re: Interpreting Lunar Returns

Post by SteveS » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 am

8-)

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 am

Excellent summary! Since I read ISR, I've been using the "return chart style" portion of the techniques for reading SSR'S to read SLR's with excellent results.In addition, I give significance to aspects of SLR Sun in comparable degree to aspects of SSR Moon. Also, I note that foreground Sun and especially Pluto tend to make a good return better and a bad one worse (if their aspects concur).
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:24 am

mikestar13 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 am
In addition, I give significance to aspects of SLR Sun in comparable degree to aspects of SSR Moon.
I used to. I'm less inclined to do so except I usually tend to use an "early Bradley" pass - just in case there is something legitimate to the house model that I might miss - in which I got, "House and aspects of Sun, check. House and aspects of Moon, check. Anything foreground and their aspects check..."

Aside from that, I've fallen away from my conviction that Sun aspects are always important (or always important unless in the immediate background and non-partile, or some variation on that theme).
Also, I note that foreground Sun and especially Pluto tend to make a good return better and a bad one worse (if their aspects concur).
That's interesting. Just in the sense of "pumping it to more extreme"?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 am

Yeah, pretty much. Sun tends to add energy and focus, either your own (natal) or the universe's (transiting). Pluto's "all-or-nothing" tendencies factor in when present. Pluto with aspects in discord with the main theme leans in the contrary direction. For example . For example, in a strongly negative return foreground Pluto in partile aspects to Venus and Jupiter may act as a "saving grace", mitigating the negativity a fair amount. Similarly, a badly afflicted Pluto foreground in an otherwise good chart can be a very nasty joker in the cosmic deck.
Time matters

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 am

Mike wrote:
In addition, I give significance to aspects of SLR Sun in comparable degree to aspects of SSR Moon.
I keep looking for the 'same significance' in my life, but I can’t find it. By far, I see much more significance with SSR Moon than SLR Sun. Why? I don’t know. Jim would probably have the best explanation. Maybe t. Sun has some unique importance involved timing to the exact day with partile aspects important life incidents, but I can’t correlate in a strong manner. It could be the only time a SLR Sun is highlighted in a significant manner-- only when the SLR is partile aspected (0,90,180) to a natal planet on the DAY of a SLR, but again, I don’t know. Fagan said the SLR Sun was important—but I have yet to see/understand the importance compared to SSR Moon.

Danica
3rd Warning Suspension Likely
3rd Warning  Suspension Likely

Post by Danica » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am

Chiming in on the matter of t Sun aspects in the SLR: I've been observing these for years now, and the conclusion is - they are definitively of far less importance (almost incomparable) than the Moon-aspects in SSR.
But I do keep observing them.
Amate Se Mutuo Cum Corda Ardentia
http://siderallia.blogspot.com/

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:55 am

Yes, back in, oh, about 1970 when I first started reading reprints of "Solunars," one of the first things I registered as that you watch planets on the angles for both, and those aspecting (0 - 90 - 180) Moon in the SSR and Sun in SLR.

It's all true. Except, I haven't been able to confirm the "Sun in SLR." It's much easier to justify that Moon in SLR is always important - perhaps not in the sense of Moon in the SSR, but certainly in the same sense as Moon in solar and lunar ingresses.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Mike
Zodiac Member
Zodiac Member

Post by Mike » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Do y'all consider partile octiles to foreground planets? (In SLRs, and, for that matter, SSRs.)

Jim, I notice that you don't list noting octiles along with conjunction/opposition/square in your procedural recommendations. I've been tracking octiles as I would in a natal chart (out to 2*), but I'm starting to think I'm giving undue weight to them.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:43 pm

Mike wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:50 pm
Do y'all consider partile octiles to foreground planets? (In SLRs, and, for that matter, SSRs.)

Jim, I notice that you don't list noting octiles along with conjunction/opposition/square in your procedural recommendations. I've been tracking octiles as I would in a natal chart (out to 2*), but I'm starting to think I'm giving undue weight to them.
I qouls as a supplemental factor, e.g., as a partile transit to the natal chart. Other than that, it's highly questionable (and almost certianly not foreground).
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Venus_Daily
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Re: How I "break down" a Lunar Return

Post by Venus_Daily » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:44 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:06 pm
Here is how I mechanically prepare the SLR to prepare for the analysis outlined above.

1. Determine what is angular foreground.

Conjunctions with EP or WP are taken in right ascension, with a maximum orb of 3°.
Jim, I'm great with interpreting planetary symbolism, but terrible with the math. How exactly do you "take" the EP/WP in right ascension.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:59 pm

On Solar Fire, you click the Reports button on a chart and it lists the Right Ascension of all the planets and angles.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com