Solar Arc Directions

General Discussion on Transit & Progression matters for which a specific forum does not exist
Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Solar Arc Directions

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:12 pm

SteveS wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:04 pm
Jim, I knew you were losing sight in one eye. Are you now losing sight in the other eye?
Both eyes are impacted. The immediate issue is that my special hard contact lens were lost this week so I have to wait a couple of weeks for the optometrist to get replacements manufactured. I can read with one eye if I am within about 3" of the screen, which is physically difficult.
I can't recall ever reading anything about this type Solar Arc analysis to the Natal calculating possible specific Natal Midpoints to focus on. Is this type Solar Arc analysis found with examples in Jacobson book “The Language of Uranian Astrology,” or any specific article in Spica? Or is this a special case with Trump/Election noted randomly as a rare coincidence by you with the Dial? If you ever run across more examples of this type Solar Arc analysis, I would be most interested and appreciate you posting.
It probably is in Jacobson. It's definitely in Ebertin's books on solar arcs - by example more than explanation. Often the descriptions are complex, e.g., Uranian astrologers talking about a + b - c equations that another planet completes, but all these are just tactics for getting at something really simple: 45° aspects between points and midpoints (and midpoints to midpoints), and reading each factor as a synthesis of all the points and midpoints on its axis.

The math of all of this is quite simple, but you have to think it through: The unique characteristic of Solar Arcs is that all solar arc planets keep the same relationship to each other that they have in the natal chart. So, for example, if your natal Sun and Jupiter are 56°52' apart, then Sun and Jupiter in the solar arcs will always be 56°52' apart, too. (You can sort these distance lists, too, to get aspects between the points; let's keep it simple for now.)

Now, your Jupiter is 56°52' ahead of your Sun. Looking further, we see that your Mercury is 56°07' ahead of your Saturn. That means that when your solar arc was 56°-something, you had both solar arc Sun conjunct your Jupiter and solar arc Saturn conjunct your Mercury.

Now, there is a rule - you can work it out mathematically - that any two pair of planets with the same distance between them makes exact midpoint aspects. Something I sometimes do is use this as a way to flesh out the meaning of aspects. For example, you have Mercury sextile Pluto -0°04' and Sun sextile Mars +3°00'. Because Mercury sextiles Pluto and Sun sextiles Mars, we know that there is a conjunction of two midpoints involving these four planets. (Equal distances apart always mean midpoints, and midpoints involving planets actually in aspect are theoretically stronger. - A glance at your chart (at Mercury, Pluto, Sun, and Mars) tells us at once that the lineup must be Sun/Pluto = Mercury/Mars (the two inside planets and the two outside planets). We can average the orbs of the two aspects and see that the two midpoints will be 1°32', which is a little wide - but it makes the point as an example!

Looking at your midpoints, we confirm that Me/Ma is 10°00' Leo and Su/Pl is 11°32 Leo - they are conjunct with the orb we anticipated, 1°32'.

Let's suppose these were closer. We would then suspect that there would be an important life event of the combined nature of Me/Ma and Su/Pl when these two solar arcs simultaneously matured, which would be when Pluto directed to conjoin Mercury simultaneously with Mars directing to conjoin Sun.

On a physical 90° dial this takes a few seconds to see the pattern and calculate the timing! It's one example of where we have lost something with computers.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:53 pm

I damn sure want to learn these "tactics" for analysis. I will try to get Jacobson book and the other Solar Arc books by Ebertin. I want to wait until you reacquire your special contact lens before I start asking you some specific questions about use of Dial. But, if I understand for picking possible winners in contests, all I have to do is put one's Solar Arcs Pairs (only) on the dial near the contest event-- picking-up the exact degree for these, and then checking for multiple (more than 1) benefic or malefic aspected 0,90,180 Natal Midpoints. Correct?

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:08 pm

Jim wrote:
On a physical 90° dial this takes a few seconds to see the pattern and calculate the timing! It's one example of where we have lost something with computers.
Believe me, I realize this after working with these Solar Arcs and Natal Midpoints in Solar Fire. It a tough mental/juggling process particularly for my 72 year old mind. I can now truly understand, the astrologers in the 70s who seriously learned how to use dials had much keener astrological sight in many things. I so wish I had mastered the use of dials. Yes, indeed, I can clearly understand how dials hold advantages over the computer.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:56 pm

Here's a simple demonstration of how it works. (You might want to pull your chart up on Solar Fire as a dial.)

To do Solar Arcs, find the spot on the dial that many degrees around the circle from the other clockwise. For example, if your current solar arc is 73°, go 73°clockwise from the pointer (which is 17° counter-clockwise from the pointer on a 90° dial).

We put on dot on the dial at that point, then - here's the first cool thing - just spin the dial to place that dot on each planet in turn and the pointer will show you any solar arc aspects it has right now. Since the pointer is already on the target planet, y9u instantly see all of its midpoints without doing anything else. (A separate trick is to have two rings - write your natal planets on the inside of the dial and copy them on your paper just outside the dial. You rotate the inner wheel once (for the amount of solar arc) and you see t a glance all contacts and all midpoints without any further actions. You can fake this in Solar Fire with a two-ring dial.)

The other thing I wanted to show you was how to find midpoint axes quickly with the dial. Lety's suppose that you noticed that directed Moon aspected your Ascendant at about the same time that directed Mercury aspected your Sun.Immediately (because equal distances mean midpoints) this tells you that, since Moon to Ascendant is at the same time as Mercury to Sun, in your birth chart you must have the Moon/Sun midpoint on the Mercury/Ascendant midpoint. How to find these quickly? There are two ways. In practice, we usually just spin the dial until the same number (same distance)is on two of the planets (e.g., your Moon and your Sun are the same distance on either side of the pointer) - this takes seconds. You can lso put the pointer on one planet (say, your Moon), read how many degrees it is to the other planet (in this case, your Sun) (it looks to be about 17 1/2 degrees0, divide by two and and then spin the dial so that this value (not quite eight degrees) is on both Moon and Sun. At that point, you will see it is also the Mercury/Ascendantmidpoint. The dial will qlso show you that, within 1°, this is Neptune/Node, Moon/Uranus, Mercury/Jupiter, and Mars/Pluto, which may help with the interpretation.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:28 am

:shock: 8-) I need practice and experience.

Arena
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Arena » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:24 am

Trump aside, I find solar arcs particularly interesting like Steve. I must buy that Noel Tyl book and possibly also Ebertin's book on solar arcs. I also see that Frank C. Clifford gets the best reviews on his book on solar arcs, so that one might be worthwhile as well.

I'm following them closely in my own case and they seem so very powerful. I do not see the sec. pr. Moon having any trigger effect though.

Anyway I'm wondering if I can cast a chart in solar fire with midpoints marked onto the chart ring? I know I can get a table, but I would like to have the midpoints marked onto the ring and then run a dynamic biwheel with transits to be able to see the transits to the midpoints.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:56 am

Arena wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:24 am
I do not see the sec. pr. Moon having any trigger effect though.
Agreed. - It may have a collateral effect, i.e., a concurrent progressed Moon may mark the time a solar arc actualizes. (Different techniques simultaneously shw the same event all the time.) In that case FWIW I'm more inclined just to consider it an effect of the progressed Moon aspect itself.

But I have n practical or theoretical basis to think that a progressed Moon serves as an actual trigger, i.e., aspects solar arc positions, or to think that progressed positions can aspect directed planets directly. (Pun unintended but permitted.)
Anyway I'm wondering if I can cast a chart in solar fire with midpoints marked onto the chart ring? I know I can get a table, but I would like to have the midpoints marked onto the ring and then run a dynamic biwheel with transits to be able to see the transits to the midpoints.
Yes. Te option you want to explore is User Defined Points. You can create a User Defined Points file with the midpoints you want and then select that file. For example, here is my chart with select midpoints added (I'll come back and delete this graphic later, or another administrator can do it for me.)

[admin note: graphic removed]
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:39 am

For those who are seriously interested in easily tracking their Direct & Indirect Solar Arcs, I am now in the process of learning a neat specialized Solar Arc program ($50.00) from Matrix Software (1 800 779 2559). This program was solely designed from the teachings of Noel Tyl's “Solar Arcs” book.

I have discovered Indirect Solar Arcs to Natal Midpoints offer important details to the Kingpins for Direct Solar Arcs (not involving natal midpoints), particularly involving the MC, ASC, SUN & MOON.

Also, one of Ebertin's conclusions from his book “Directions” (Solar Arcs) for contemplation:
It has been demonstrated in very many cases that a certain mutual dependency between directions and transits exists, that directions only substantiated themselves when the corresponding transits are present, and vice versa.

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:39 am

For those who are seriously interested in easily tracking their Direct & Indirect Solar Arcs, I am now in the process of learning a neat specialized Solar Arc program ($50.00) from Matrix Software (1 800 779 2559). This program was solely designed from the teachings of Noel Tyl's “Solar Arcs” book.

I have discovered Indirect Solar Arcs to Natal Midpoints offer important details to the Kingpins for Direct Solar Arcs (not involving natal midpoints), particularly involving the MC, ASC, SUN & MOON.

Also, one of Ebertin's conclusions from his book “Directions” (Solar Arcs) for contemplation:
It has been demonstrated in very many cases that a certain mutual dependency between directions and transits exists, that directions only substantiated themselves when the corresponding transits are present, and vice versa.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:42 am

The Ebertin quote is an example of why I've never found Solar Arcs as important as other techniques: If you need the transits to seal the deal, you get much the same information from just watching the transits.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:34 am

I understand where you are coming from Jim.

The only solar arcs which I think offer good reliable data for the astrologer are the arcs involving natal angles (to & from planets); and arcs (to & from) involving Sun & Moon. My # 1 Predictor for possible major life developments is the SSR under certain conditions and # 2 Predictor are Solar Arcs using the above criteria. I think transits may be the specific time exciters of a solar arc at times using Carter's "Law of Excitation" for major events. I like looking at Solar Arcs under the above criteria for timing major life developments mainly because they are 'once in a lifetime' astrological happenings depending on the planetary symbolism.

For example: When my natal MC solar arc conjunct to my Natal Neptune (Film/Theaters) is when my dream came true for owning my own Theater Business---a 'once in lifetime' angular solar arc planetary event relative to the theater environment I was born into.

Another example helping explain my above words: We see in Arena's life for 2020 a 'once in lifetime' d. Sun 90 n. Venus for timing her present love relationship; but, her current SSR timed (soon to be) the same love relationship with her n. Venus-Jupiter on her SSR Horizon, a 'once in lifetime' natal ANGULAR SSR happening. Arena has a direct midpoint in her chart SUN/MOON = JUPITER which also helps explain how benefic she feels about her love relationship--- tremendously aided by her secondary progressed Jupiter wired into this Sun/Moon midpoint with her d. Sun coming to this Sun/Moon midpoint axis with n. Jupiter soon. Also sp natal Moon has been partile sp natal Venus.

I have made-up my mind I am not going to wager on 2020 Prez election--- way to many mixed signals. But as a possible example for Ebertin's quoted words above. It is my opinion Ebertin would not consider much weight for Trump's possible Inauguration date of: Solar Arc MC =Jupiter/MC; but Ebertin would add much more weight to this planetary picture on Inauguration for a possible Trump win because transiting Jupiter is involved partile with this Solar Arc MC to his Jupiter/MC midpoint. I am in the process of learning possible new techniques for my tool box.

Midpoints combined with Solar Arcs as explained above help's me see better with my style of practicing astrology. I think Ebertin & Hand put out some good astrological teachings.

I may not be as active with the forum for a while for personal reasons (got a rough SLR July 2)---but you know I will be back. :)

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:06 pm

SteveS wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:34 am
Another example helping explain my above words: We see in Arena's life for 2020 a 'once in lifetime' d. Sun 90 n. Venus for timing her present love relationship...
Ironically, Sun directions are the worst examples to prove the system as it is identical with progressed Sun. We know secondary progressions work for major life shifts: If there were no solar arc directions (which there surely are), we would still have progressed Sun square natal Venus.

Be careful with that SLR. Glad you had a great trip!
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:47 pm

Jim wrote:
Be careful with that SLR.

Due to too much partying on trip (dancing-thinking I was a young buck :) ) I experienced some possible cardio problems---going in for some test July 7, 8 9. I was told a couple of years ago I had a slight leaky value which is no big deal but they may make decision to do an operation which is supposedly a minor procedure---but that SLR has me somewhat concerned. I am thinking if they want to do procedure to wait until I get out of that July SLR.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:18 pm

I've wondered when Pluto's partile conjunction with my Mars was going to result in something serious. So far, it hasn't (in the sense of life-threatening, etc.), and that's with having had the Saturn-Pluto conjunction fall on my Mars in January. Not saying it won't happen... it's the perfect aspect for hospitalizations, any cumulative stress or strain injury, and more... but, with your case in mind, it's worth noting that nothing like that has happened.

That's a harsh lunar. The harsh stuff is strongest. I'd have some confidence in the Jupiter-Pluto aspect to mean "fixing the problem, making things better," but there's no way you'd come through without some hardship (which is going to be part of a major procedure anyway). The Demi somewhat improves things - moves Saturn a few degrees away, puts your Jupiter exactly on MC. I like that better than the following SLR with natal Saturn setting.

Remember, in scheduling surgery, to look at lunar phase. Studies done back in the '70s or '80s and published in one of the major medical journals showed significantly more bleeding crises during surgery in the two weeks centered on the Full Moon than in the two weeks centered on the New Moon.

Progressed Sun exactly conjoins your Moon this week! That should be worth quite lot for vitalizing life.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:52 pm

Thanks Jim. Yes, I am hoping that Jupiter-Pluto aids things in a more benefic fashion. I think with my t. Pluto 180 n. Mars, I put my physical body in an over-worked situation with the fun dancing and my heart system said: nope--to old for that. :) Anyway, better to get things checked out with tests. I have been feeling dizzy at times since dancing episode and looking at monitor makes it worse.

Jim wrote:
I've wondered when Pluto's partile conjunction with my Mars was going to result in something serious. So far, it hasn't (in the sense of life-threatening, etc.), and that's with having had the Saturn-Pluto conjunction fall on my Mars in January. Not saying it won't happen... it's the perfect aspect for hospitalizations, any cumulative stress or strain injury, and more... but, with your case in mind, it's worth noting that nothing like that has happened.
It may be before anything serious happens or is known as malefic---these nasty aspects has to be angular in a return chart. Have these aspects appeared angular in any of your return charts?
Last edited by SteveS on Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Arena wrote:
I find solar arcs particularly interesting like Steve. I must buy that Noel Tyl book and possibly also Ebertin's book on solar arcs. I also see that Frank C. Clifford gets the best reviews on his book on solar arcs, so that one might be worthwhile as well.
Indeed Arena, I too find solar arcs very interesting which has absolutely revitalized/peaked my astrological mental interests. I would definitely recommend Tyl's book but not recommend Ebertin's book unless you want to document many examples how solar arcs with midpoint pictures time important events in people's lives. I have ordered 3 Clifford books---thanks for pointing out his work with Solar Arcs. Hopefully, I will eventually quote some of his insights working with Solar Arcs so that we all may learn/grow/understand better with Solar Arcs. Thanks :)

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:43 pm

SteveS wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:52 pm
It may be before anything serious happens or is known as malefic---these nasty aspects has to be angular in a return chart. Have these aspects appeared angular in any of your return charts?
Demi-SLR 27 Sep Asc 28° Sagittarius
SLR 4 Dec MC 29° Pisces
Demi-SLR 9 Mar MC 30° Pisces
SLR 23 Mar EP 1° Capricorn
Demi-SLR 6 Apr Asc 25° Sagittarius
Demi-SLR 3 May EP 30° Gemini

Upcoming:
SLR 10 Jul MC 28° Pisces
Demi-SLR 24 Jul 30° Pisces
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:21 pm

Hmm...

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:45 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:43 pm
SteveS wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:52 pm
Have these aspects appeared angular in any of your return charts?
Jim, when I run your Lunars for this period, I get:

SLR 9/30/20 4:41:42 AM; Asc 15*31' Leo
DSLR 10/14/20 10:46:52 AM; Asc 13*19' Sco

P.S.
I checked the other dates, I think you ran by accident this whole sequence off some other chart, not your natal:
SLR 4 Dec MC 29° Pisces
Demi-SLR 9 Mar MC 30° Pisces
SLR 23 Mar EP 1° Capricorn
Demi-SLR 6 Apr Asc 25° Sagittarius
Demi-SLR 3 May EP 30° Gemini
after DSLR 10/14, the consequent dates I get for the upcoming returns:
10/27 SLR
11/10 DSLR
11/23 SLR
12/8 DSLR
12/20 SLR
etc.
Amate Se Mutuo Cum Corda Ardentia

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:19 am

The September date was 2019.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:27 am

LOL, I seem to be suffering from a heavy bias-toward-Future, and misreading forum posts is only one, and a fairly mild, manifestation of this chronic condition :lol:
Amate Se Mutuo Cum Corda Ardentia

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:22 am

:)

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:05 am

Arena wrote:
I find solar arcs particularly interesting like Steve. I must buy that Noel Tyl book and possibly also Ebertin's book on solar arcs. I also see that Frank C. Clifford gets the best reviews on his book on solar arcs, so that one might be worthwhile as well.
Arena, yesterday morning I received Clifford's “Solar Arc Handbook” and finished reading 3:00 AM this morning. Not much new which interested my mind except what I quoted from Clifford in the Synastry Topic. IMO, Tyl's (RIP) Solar Arc Book is still the best for the serious astrologer when it comes to learning how to apply Solar Arcs. But, Clifford's book has many more (dozens) Direct Solar Arc examples vs Tyl's book. Clifford only addresses the Direct Solar Arcs; whereas, Tyl also addresses the Indirect Solar Arcs to Midpoints, which I think are very important in certain cases.

Arena, I am also learning more/better how to use Tyl's specialized Solar Arc program designed with his Solar Arc book teachings. Its a lot less cumbersome to me than using Ebertin's dials in Solarfire, imo. Since you are an active member on this forum and are interested in Solar Arcs, I would like to use your recent life happenings as a par-excellent example for the use of Solar Arcs as taught by Tyl with his specialized Solar Arc program. Let me know. :)

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Steve wrote to Jim
I can't recall ever reading anything about this type Solar Arc analysis to the Natal calculating possible specific Natal Midpoints to focus on. Is this type Solar Arc analysis found with examples in Jacobson book “The Language of Uranian Astrology,” or any specific article in Spica? Or is this a special case with Trump/Election noted randomly as a rare coincidence by you with the Dial? If you ever run across more examples of this type Solar Arc analysis, I would be most interested and appreciate you posting.
Jim replied:
It probably is in Jacobson. It's definitely in Ebertin's books on solar arcs - by example more than explanation. Often the descriptions are complex, e.g., Uranian astrologers talking about a + b - c equations that another planet completes, but all these are just tactics for getting at something really simple: 45° aspects between points and midpoints (and midpoints to midpoints), and reading each factor as a synthesis of all the points and midpoints on its axis.
Jim, I just finished reading Jacobson book, "The Language of Uranian Astrology". He waits until the last 5 pages of his book (247-251) to discuss this unique Solar Arc method. He describes this method as “the concept of total energy throughout a natal axis,” I guess with natal midpoints. It is indeed a fascinating concept. He also touches on this same Solar Arc Direction method on page 195 under the paragraph: “Dual-Disk Analysis.” When you introduced this method to me, I was somewhat floored, mainly because the astrology I had already analyzed told me there was very high % Trump would not win a second term. But with this Uranium method it flips---high % Trump wins a second term—presenting a huge contradiction of forecasted astrological factors. Anyway, like you said—I will need to “think my way” through this very interesting/unique method.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks. I guess I'll have to reread those last five pages. (I'm still working with limited vision - worse today than yesterday and still awaiting a correct lens - but I'm trying to read John Bolton's new book, which I got from a private source.)

What did you think of the book overall?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com