Casting a Quotidian

Q&A and discussion on Quotidian variations of progressions.
sotonye
Zodiac Member
Zodiac Member

Casting a Quotidian

Post by sotonye » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Even though I keep reading the resources on the matter, I'm still having trouble with understanding exactly how to cast a daily chart. I'm very interested in timing events so it is frustrating being unable to grasp this. I thought it was just a kind of return chart, a chart cast for the return of the ASC or MC to the birth degree once a day. (I don't think this is it but at the same time doing so has produced interesting results). And then I thought that it's just progressing the ASC or MC 1° for every year of life and casting a chart daily for the resultant degree. Now I think I have no clue what I'm doing and need a bit of assistance.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Casting a Quotidian

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:28 pm

The simple answer to your question is: On whatever software you are using, look for the word "Quotidian," probably in reference to how to calculate the angles of secondary progressions.

The primary quotidian methods are variations of secondary progressions. However, instead of progressing the angles at something close to 1°/year, the quotidian theory recognizes that in a 1 day = 1 year model, angles (MC, Asc, etc.) move through the entire zodiac (plus 1° more) every day. So, the progressed angles should move 361° in 365 days (in round numbers).

There is a longer explanation in one of the early chapters of my free book Sidereal Mundane Astrology.

What software do you use to calculate charts?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

sotonye
Zodiac Member
Zodiac Member

Post by sotonye » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:28 pm

So this is another way of progressing a chart? I'll read the book, I've got it saved, but I think I understand. And I use solar fire v9 to calculate charts, though I just got it only recently.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:27 pm

In SF, go into Current Settings by clicking Angle Progressions and in the Chart Angle Progression box pick Mean Quotidian. Be sure Progression Day Type is set at Q2.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

sotonye
Zodiac Member
Zodiac Member

Post by sotonye » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Okay thank you Mr. Eshelman

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:53 am

Im unclear on how to read these progressed charts, or what they are supposed to be telling me.
The natal chart I understand as the soul/ spirit/ character of a person.
The daily transits I see as what events/ influences are happening in the here and now in the world.

The progressed chart, in my mind feels like it would be a cumulative expression of all the past transits on the soul/spirit/character, something a kin to life experience and gathered wisdom since our nature is to progress forward. So its kind of like a here and now of your total being, which depending on how a person has riden out thier life, for better or worse, gives a picture of where that person is currently?

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:42 am

Fagan drew an early distinction that appears to be a correct representation. He distinguished incidents from accidents. An incident is something arising from within, a natural unfolding (as when a seed grows in ordinary development, affected by whatever distinctive quirks are built into it). Accidents are "happenings," things that come from our interaction with environment and the events of life (like the weather for a seed, or someone potting it or ripping it up or giving it plant-food or whatever).

Transits (including solar and lunar returns) show accidents. Progressions show incidents. Progressions (which, however, in practice often superficially seem much like transits) are natural unfoldings of what we started out to be.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Mike
Zodiac Member
Zodiac Member

Post by Mike » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 pm

Do angle progressions in SA in longitude (and contacts to them, etc) mean anything when contacting natal/progressed planets, or do you recommend we use only mean quotidian to determine natal/progressed planetary contacts to "progressed angles?"

I didn't really pay consistent attention day to day and have been using the default SA in long thus far. Only just now realized that the progressed angles were not moving anywhere close to 1*-ish a day.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Mike wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 pm
Do angle progressions in SA in longitude (and contacts to them, etc) mean anything when contacting natal/progressed planets, or do you recommend we use only mean quotidian to determine natal/progressed planetary contacts to "progressed angles?"
SA? (Unclear, but the question is clear.) - Oh, wait, I got confused because this is under a Quotidian topic. You mean Primary Angles using the "SA in Longitude" method.

Yes, Primary angles are absolutely important when contacting natal and progressed planets, though I find them 100% useless against transits - they seem entirely unresponsive to transits.
I didn't really pay consistent attention day to day and have been using the default SA in long thus far. Only just now realized that the progressed angles were not moving anywhere close to 1*-ish a day.
Natal Quotidian (SNQ) angles are responsive to natal, progressed, and transiting planets. Solar Quotidian (SQ) angles are responsive to natal, SSR, progressed SSR, and transiting planets.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com