Newhall House Hotel fire

Analyses of distinct mundane events, using the methods of Sidereal mundane astrology
Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Newhall House Hotel fire

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:52 pm

January 10, 1883, 4:00 AM, Milwaukee, WI

Milwaukee's deadliest fire took 70 lives. It is most famous because the tiny actor "Tom Thumb" and his wife were in the hotel when the fire broke out, but escaped safely (each carried out of the building under the arm of a firefighter).

Regarded as one of history's noteworthy fires, we should have a look. (The time is from the Wisconsin Historical Society.)

The charts are uniformly good throughout, with plenty of Saturn. The only thing that could have improved it is the usual Mars crossing of an ingress or quotidian angle on the day of the fire.

Year: Capsolar {+2}
Neptune on Dsc 0°27'
Jupiter & Saturn more widely foreground
-- Mars-Neptune sq. 0°13' PVP
-- Jupiter-Neptune conj. 2°25'
-- Neptune-Pluto sq. 2°56' PVP
-- Mars-Pluto conj. 3°25' PVP
-- Jupiter conj. non-foreground Pluto 3°39' in mundo
Moon-Saturn op. 2°20' in mundo

Bridge {+2}
p Moon-Neptune op. 0°16'

Quarter: Libsolar {+2}
Saturn on WP 1°49'
Mercury, Mars, Neptune, Pluto more widely foreground
-- Mercury-Mars conj. 1°06' in mundo
-- Saturn-Pluto conj. 1°25' .in mundo
Moon-Venus conj. 3°51'

Month: Caplunar {+2}
Neptune on IC 0°14'
Sun on Asc 1°03'
Moon on Asc 2°39'
Mars & Saturn more widely foreground
-- Sun-Neptune sq. 0°49' in mundo
-- Moon-Sun conj. 1°37' in mundo
-- Moon-Neptune sq. 2°26' in mundo
-- Moon-Mars conj. 3°14' in mundo
-- Saturn-Neptune conj. 3°16'

Day: Capsolar Quotidian {+2}
p Moon-Neptune op. 0°16'
p MC sq. t Saturn 1°08'

Day: Cansolar Quotidian & Transits {+2}
p Asc conj. p Saturn 1°45'
t Mercury op. p Moon 0°22'
t Moon op. p Moon 0°12'
---------------------------------
t Mercury op. s MC 1°03'
t Moon op. s MC 0°15'
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu
Re: Newhall House Hotel fire

Post by SteveS » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:06 am

Jim wrote:
Year: Capsolar {+2}
Neptune on Dsc 0°27'
-- Mars-Neptune sq. 0°13' PVP
Par excellent symbolism for this tragic “outstanding incident.” Is this angular Mars-Neptune 90 PVP only in place for a small area in the USA, or for a broad area?

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:24 am

The angular Neptune is a long stretch (a circle) around tue world. I'll see if I can figure out a way to map the Mars-Pluto azimuth band, I imagine it intersects ratuer than parallels.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:44 am

Steve, I was able to cheat and get something that works this time. The map below is from Janus.

What I wanted to show here was the Neptune setting line and the Mars due west on the PV azimuth line. Neither SF nor Janus will will show azimuth E/W crossings on its maps but Janus will show lines for midpoints in azimuth ("local space" or LS) and will also let me draw the Prime Vertical (PV) on the map.

Ultimately "Mars exactly on prime vertical" in azimuth is the measurement we want. When any planet is exactly on the prime vertical and another planet exactly rising or setting (on the horizon), they are in what I call a PVP square because the horizon and PV are always exactly square each other.

I don't know why Janus won't show individual planets in azimuth but will show midpoints. In any case, that helps us here, because it's not just Mars exactly on the PV, it's Mars and Pluto conjunct on the PV... which brings me to the map below.

You can see the Neptune setting (Neptune on Dsc) line - the aqua line from mid-Louisiana up to just north of Chicago near Milwaukee. (A 1° orb is about 60 miles either side of that line, give or take: It's still partile at Milwaukee.

Then notice the black, broad curve entering the map at San Francisco, curving through Milwaukee, and exiting the map south of Boston. Notice that it is really two lines that begin somewhat separate and then converge. One of those lines is the prime vertical. The other is the Mars/Pluto midpoint in azimuth. Notice that it is close for the whole country but only becomes exact - close enough we can't visually tell the difference - across Wisconsin.

My SMA research has shown that planets simply being on this PV line do not, by themselves, mean anything (it's the same as being mundanely conjunct the Vertex). What matters is when a planet is on the meridian or horizon concurrent with a planet on the PV, so that they form an aspect - it takes a planet on the horizon or meridian to anchor it. You can see the black and aqua lines not far from Milwaukee intersecting. They do indeed mark a relatively small area.

Other PVP aspects were also formed by Mars-Pluto in other parts of the country, such as Mar/Pluto crossing Jupiter near Detroit, but Milwaukee (and the Neptune line)are the closest.
Hotel Fire Capsolar.jpg
PS - There are some bugs in the Janus mapping program. I think all the lines mentioned above are correct - I can confirm the Neptune line, and the Ma/Pl azimuth line looks right. But for this same chart, if I add Pluto square MC it draws it right through Milwaukee, which is wrong - it should be hundreds of miles east of there. - Also, if Janus gave us the ability to add lines for individual planets (not just midpoints) when due E/W in azimuth (i.e., when contact the PV), it would be awesome - a great tool. But they don't.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:09 am

Jim wrote:
I don't know why Janus won't show individual planets in azimuth but will show midpoints.
That’s crazy! If I understand correctly, what you/we need is for Janus to show individual planets in azimuth on the map, correct? Do I understand you were able to cheat because the Mars/Pluto PV conjunction was a tight conjunction?
You can see the black and aqua lines not far from Milwaukee intersecting. They do indeed mark a relatively small area.
That is most interesting! To make sure I clearly understand, tell me what you specifically need in a map view with an astrological program to make what you consider a significant breakthrough, at certain times, in order to refine your SMA talents to see possible manifestations for a “relatively small area” of the USA? Or do i misunderstand what is in your mind?

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:13 am

SteveS wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:09 am
That’s crazy! If I understand correctly, what you/we need is for Janus to show individual planets in azimuth on the map, correct? Do I understand you were able to cheat because the Mars/Pluto PV conjunction was a tight conjunction?
Specifically, the lines for planets that have azimuth 90° or 270° (due east or west), just as they would show a whole line of where a planet is on the horizon or meridian.

There are three different ways to say the same thing: (1) Lines for where the planet's azimuth is 90° or 270°. (2) Lines for where the planet intersects the prime vertical, in the same way that rise/set lines show it intersecting the horizon. (3) Mundane conjunctions with Vertex-Antivertex. - These are all the same thing.
You can see the black and aqua lines not far from Milwaukee intersecting. They do indeed mark a relatively small area.
That is most interesting! To make sure I clearly understand, tell me what you specifically need in a map view with an astrological program to make what you consider a significant breakthrough, at certain times, in order to refine your SMA talents to see possible manifestations for a “relatively small area” of the USA? Or do i misunderstand what is in your mind?
Listed above.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:18 am

Specifically, the lines for planets that have azimuth 90° or 270° (due east or west), just as they would show a whole line of where a planet is on the horizon or meridian.
Do you think it could possibly refine your SMA talents to talk with the programmer for Janus since you are a register user???

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:38 am

SteveS wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:18 am
Do you think it could possibly refine your SMA talents to talk with the programmer for Janus since you are a register user???
Talents? No, I think that's the wrong word. It would, however, make it easier to include additional relevant information in forecasting. Right now, we can only view this important type of aspect in a specific chart already cast, not in a broad astromap-based overview.

They do seem to have added some "off the beaten path" types of things and I think they have the underlying programming code (the main modules they would need) already written - it's just a matter of adding the feature in specifically (I think!).

And, of course, it would also be nice if they'd fix the squares to angles. UPDATE: I just discovered why the squares to angles are off. They're the same as SF gives for mundane squares to MC and Asc, which have never made sense to me. They should be ecliptical. (I'm not even sure what this "mundane squares to MC and Asc actually are.) - At least Janus allows all the square lines to be on the same map as the other lines, unlike SF.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:49 am

Jim wrote:
Talents? No, I think that's the wrong word.
I do this occasionally---use wrong words. I will use another word: Gifted when it comes to understanding most clearly the important astronomy for Sidereal Mundane Astrology.