First photographed black hole

Q&A and discussion on Fixed Stars
Jim Eshelman
Marduk
First photographed black hole

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:05 am

Today's science news is marked by the announcement that international astronomical teamwork has succeeded in photographing a black hole for the first time. Here's one article on the subject:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/10/scie ... a_20190410

This black hold is in the center of Messier 87, a nebula in Virgo. As of epoch 2000.0, M87 was at RA 12:30:49, Dec 12N23'28".

Presuming my RA-to-longitude spreadsheet works correctly this means its longitude is 7°19' Virgo. Start looking for charts with planets within 1° of conjunct or opposite this to see what maybe we can see.

Except... one complicating factor... the Solar Apex (once erroneously thought to be at 0° Capricorn) is at 7°21' Sagittarius, square this within 0°02'. Nonetheless, conjunctions to M87 (if it has astrological significance) should outweigh that.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

TheScales_BothWays
Zodiac Member
Zodiac Member

Re: First photographed black hole

Post by TheScales_BothWays » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:31 am

This is truly marvellous! What a significant milestone in astronomy and astrophysics. :geek: 🌌

Do the mundane charts have anything say about this?

Lance
Zodiac Member
Zodiac Member

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 am

I have to admit that I hoped it would look cooler.

Jim Eshelman
Marduk

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:48 am

TheScales_BothWays wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:31 am
This is truly marvellous! What a significant milestone in astronomy and astrophysics. :geek: 🌌

Do the mundane charts have anything say about this?
Great question. I didn't have time to look closely.

The photography was done 2 years ago, the uncovering has been gradual over the intervening time. The only event today was the public announcement. Over the last couple years there have been ongoing forecasts (at the Capsolar level) of major technological breakthroughs.

I think the long stretches of Moon-Pluto and Moon-Uranus aspects (ecliptical or mundane) in most weekly/monthly lunar ingresses is intensifying this.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

TheScales_BothWays
Zodiac Member
Zodiac Member

Post by TheScales_BothWays » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:48 am
The photography was done 2 years ago, the uncovering has been gradual over the intervening time. The only event today was the public announcement. Over the last couple years there have been ongoing forecasts (at the Capsolar level) of major technological breakthroughs.
Yeah. I remember that Washington DC's 2017 Capsolar had a nice Jupiter-Uranus opposition on the Meridian too!
Jim Eshelman wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:48 am
I think the long stretches of Moon-Pluto and Moon-Uranus aspects (ecliptical or mundane) in most weekly/monthly lunar ingresses is intensifying this.
Indeed. Would you also credit Neptune in Aquarius for this? Or maybe even Jupiter in Scorpio? Your on-forum notes on this Jupiter placement show significant events of technology too (albeit mostly regarding computers and the internet).

I'm saying this because if we're able to distinguish this event as a Jupiter in Scorpio one, it would be one more point for the Sidereal (Fagan-Bradley) zodiac, vs. the other (mostly Indian) sidereal zodiacs, that currently place Jupiter in early Sagittarius. ✨

Nonetheless, Jupiter in Virgo (as the photography was done in April 2017) would be a great fit too.

Jim Eshelman
Marduk

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:22 pm

TheScales_BothWays wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:07 pm
Would you also credit Neptune in Aquarius for this? Or maybe even Jupiter in Scorpio?
Neptune in Aquarius maybe for the fantasy of it all, but probably not for discovery - it seems anti-discovery. (But I'd certainly credit it with the amazingly successful launch of a new Star Trek series called, er, Discovery.)

Jupiter in Scorpio isn't just tech breakthroughs: I think the specific characteristic is that they were all gigantic leaps (in things like computer power and the Internet) that make people more powerful. Today's announcement is pretty cool, but I don't think it's going to empower the typical person.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Marduk

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:50 am

I just realized I have M87 (and the Black Hole at its center) on my Ascendant. Mundanely it is only 0°15' below Asc.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Been a lot of reminders of Einstein's work since the photo was released.

Einstein's proof of Relativity said if you looked for a star that was "behind" a solar eclipse, the star would appear to be above the eclipse because the Sun is heavy enough to bend light. Several eclipses provided photographic proof.

So eclipse charts... are they bent from the weight of the the Sun? Is that why they work sometimes and sometimes don't because the weight of the Sun bends whatever it is that influences what ever on earth, and bends it differently because of the angle the planet (and the stars) is to the bend?

Not that it matters. I can't imagine what an eclipse chart offers a Solunar doesn't, especially on the mundane plane.