Suggestions for TMSA version 0.4

Discussion & announcements concerning Mike's "Time Matters Sidereal Astrology" software, now in development. Keep up on what's happening, download a free copy for use, and give your input on this important project.
mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member
Re: Suggestions for TMSA version 0.4

Post by mikestar13 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:17 pm

Thank JSAD, you have given me a good starting point that Jim can expand on if he sees fit.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:56 pm

I'll dig into this when I get back (unless I'm able to do more before). Looking forward to it.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:04 pm

I just read JSAD's answers. Mine won't vary widely, but more in nuance. I want to wait until I can get to a real computer.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:24 pm

Thanks, Jim, that will be plenty soon enough. I'm sure I'll be squashing bugs in 0.3 for a while. Hopefully it won't need as many patches as 0.2! (My mouth to God's ears.)
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:10 pm

mikestar13 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:48 am
Now for a few questions about transits, starting of course with the natal chart:
Promised answers, now that I'm. These agree with JSAD except in nusance.
I assume as a matter of course transits to the planets, the node if used, and the major angles are valid.
Sure, anything that's valid is responsive to transits.
Does the Eastpoint also take transits by RA?
Yes. Of course, that means that the transiting planet has to be precessed back to the birth date. (You'd probably get a similar result by precessing the MC to the event date, but I'd have to experiment to see whether it would non-negligibly vary.)

As JSAD, said, it also takes transits in longitude, i.e., what look like squares to MC.
Is the Vertex responsive to transits?
I'm not sure the Vertex is good for much at all but, if one is to offer it for use, the software should treat it like any other angle. Since other angles appear to receive transits in longitude, Vx should also receive them in longitude, in theory - the conjunction, opposition, and two squares being conjunctions with Vertex, Antivertex, Southpoint, and Northpoint.

If we later have a feature for transits to angles mundanely, then Vx and Av should be calculated in azimuth with appropriate adjustments for precession. NP and SP have no separate mundane calculations except in RA, which makes them identical to MC and IC.
For each type of progressed chart, same question.
I think the answer is yes, but you might be thinking of sub-questions I'm not considering.

If you mean progressed angles, and by this you mean quotidians, then the answer is yes. If you mean what are basically primary angles, I've never found them responsive to transits.

If you are asking about secondary progressed planets, in theory they're all responsive to transits - a lot of astrologers work by noting partile progressed aspects and then claiming transits trigger them. In day to day use, I've only found transits to progressed Moon and (almost as strong) Sun are worth watching. However, people should have the option to get transits to all progressions if they want, I think.
For Solar Arcs, same question.
I've never found transits to solar arcs to be worth anything (except, of course, solar arc Sun which is also progressed Sun). One example to me is that transits to "primary" angles just don't seem to show, and my primary MC is identical with solar arc MC.

Steve might have a different answer for this.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:28 pm

Thanks, Jim. You've given me plenty to get started, and I can ask more refined question as needed when I start coding. I'm going to release 0.3.2 with improved input routines first. JSAD gave me some fine ideas in that area.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:10 pm

I have some notes on 0.3.1 I'll post in a minute.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:10 pm

Well finishing up 0.3 took longer than I thought. I have already started (taking it easy for the moment) on 0.4. I started by reorganizing the code from 0.3 into more files but shorter so I can more easily read my own code. Tomorrow I'll start in on the transit module. It will take a while to get perfect. After it is, adding any number of progression and directions is quite easy. With regard to the Vertex I don't really find it useful for anything. If I were making this program just for my own use, I'd drop the vertex altogether. My Neptune is 42' from the Vertex by azimuth and my Moon is 2°38' from the Antivertex, so if it is significant, I probably would have noticed by now.
Last edited by mikestar13 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:13 pm

I do think it of some importance (not great importance, but SOME importance), but only measured in azimuth, not in longitude.

I've not been able to catch transits to it in longitude meaningful, but that could be due to my own inattentiveness. (I think not, but it could be.) Keeping it user-selectable solves all of this.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:18 pm

Yes, the user should be able to do things that you or I don't think are valid, but I won't turn them on by default.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:50 pm

The Vertex is one of the few great puzzles remaining to me concerning primary factors in astrology. By the simple, elegant picture of the angular framework, it seems it SHOULD be more significant than it is. I can't dismiss it out of hand because of how intimately it is connected to the most fundamental features in any area of astrology (the angles). OTOH I can't affirm or stand by something that behaves so poorly as it does.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:29 am

Jim wrote:
The Vertex is one of the few great puzzles remaining to me concerning primary factors in astrology.
It is a puzzel. I have always wanted to get the history of ALL the great sports unsets to analyze with SMA, because in my mind these upsets can only be catorized as freak "fated" events.

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:14 am

Is there a good word or short phrase that denotes transits, progressions, and directions collectively? I need to add a couple of buttons to the 0.3 layouts, but the captions need to be reasonably short, "transits, progressions, and directions" just won't fit.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:47 am

mikestar13 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:14 am
Is there a good word or short phrase that denotes transits, progressions, and directions collectively? I need to add a couple of buttons to the 0.3 layouts, but the captions need to be reasonably short, "transits, progressions, and directions" just won't fit.
Not really - especially when you don't want to include Solunars in it. (Otherwise, we have "predictive methods" or "period analysis.")

I'm not thinking of anything really good. The best I've got is the clumsy: Trans/Prog/Dir
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:30 am

Other Predictive Methods

Cause there's already a button for Solunars, right?

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:53 am

Yes, I think Solunars need to be separate from other methods, since the focus is mainly on casting the SSR or SLR, where other method are more focused on contacts to the target chart. For example we can but don't really need to display a wheel for NQ or PSSR, the focus is more on what contacts are made to the natal chart, similarly with transits. Actually something like "predictive methods" isn't bad. The documentation will note that solunars are included in that category, but are presented separately. "Period analysis" feels a little over broad to me--it could even include the nativity, the period is a human lifetime. I'll see what will fit the form well. Thanks, Jim and JSAD.
Time matters

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:06 am

Here are a couple of screen shots with the new buttons.

Opening page: https://i.imgur.com/JKJicG7.jpg

Chart selection page: https://i.imgur.com/1S75vf1.jpg

Now of course the hard work of making those buttons functional. :D
Time matters

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:16 am

I'm focusing more time on Terry and that is helping her quite a bit. I still have ample programming time, as she often naps during the day and at times wants her own solo activities. I just won't be writing quite as much code quite as fast. I estimate TMSA 0.4 will be my Christmas present to the Solunars Community.
Time matters

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:27 am

As excited for each new iteration of TMSA we all are, of course Terry has to your main focus. There's no need to explain. We all want to see Terry happy and healthy, and as much as possible, we want the same for you.

BTW, in my quest to keep my brain active, I decided a few weeks ago to learn Python. Can you suggest a good place to start? I learned basic about 40 years ago, and Perl maybe twenty. Doesn't mean I could work in either language now, of course.

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:27 pm

JSAD, I will dig out some of the resources I used this evening and PM you some links. Python is a very useful language and rather easier to learn than many. At the beginning of this year I knew nothing about it, and I am now writing TMSA 0.4! I would suggest using Python 3.9, the newly released 3.10 has some cool new features, but many third party libraries are not yet compatible with 3.10. I tried running TMSA under Python 3.10, but it wouldn't work--almost every feature that depended on a third party library was broken. The parts that depended only on core Python and the standard libraries were fine. Feel free to PM me any time with Python questions.
Last edited by mikestar13 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time matters

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:40 pm

JSAD, I would also suggest when you are advanced enough, look at the TMSA source code. If you are interested, I can also send you source for my video player (where I learned most of my Python coding skills).
Time matters

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:17 pm

Before getting started in earnest on the new features, I've been doing some cleanup of the code base and some improvements of existing functions. The history will be changed whenever you do something with a chart, calculate it for the first time, display it, so forth. Charts may be deleted from the collection via the delete button, but now it will also be possible to delete a chart from the history (while leaving it in the collection).
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:33 pm

Excellent! Several times I've missed having a chart one-click accessible when I've just worked with it, e.g., just calculated it.

And more granular control of the history items is a nice "polish" feature - so one doesn't have to clear the whole thing to get a couple of charts out of the list.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:42 pm

Fantasy wish-list at some point: In Solar Fire, I find myself frequently (like: almost every time I look at a chart) changing settings when I'm INSIDE a chart - either display settings or orbs and aspect selection or planets displayed, etc.

In TMSA, if I'm inside a chart, and want to see, say, Sedna in that chart, I have to (1) back out to the front, (2) change the chart options and save the changes, (3) come back and find/select the chart again, (4) recalculate the chart, and (5) go back later, change my chart options back to the usual default with Sedna turned off, and save it again.

It would be cool and helpful to have a temporary, disposable (and disposed) chart options set that could be edited when inside a chart (at least at the chart page that has Find / Show / Recalculate, etc. A button to bring up the permanent chart options that were used for that chart, edit them, and use only that one time (say: save them to a file that is never pulled up for other charts). Alternately, one that simply lets me pick a different chart options file (one I use only for temp or special purpose or a particular variation), but it wouldn't become the default used for other charts.

Since I've rambled, the idea would be to click this one button, get a Chart Options page that opens the folder automatically to pick or create a new options set, let me edit these, and then click a button or two to have the currently open chart recalculated with those options.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:01 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:42 pm
Fantasy wish-list at some point: In Solar Fire, I find myself frequently (like: almost every time I look at a chart) changing settings when I'm INSIDE a chart - either display settings or orbs and aspect selection or planets displayed, etc. ...
I'll need to play around with this a bit,if I can pull it off it will be quite useful.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:55 pm

As I think about it (not really knowing you code, just knowing how coding tends to be structured, it seems to me that the approach is to allow selecting or creating or editing a non-standard options file that is used in the immediate situation, then never having any other code call it. That lets every other situation drop back to the defaults (or use the customize feature again).
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:55 pm

Got the more granular control of history done. See screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/2IbDK2J.jpg

I think I will work on the one-shot option file idea tomorrow. Actually all think I need is a way to open the chart options screen from other locations besides the start screen. I think it will be quite doable. Perhaps an additional button -- it would make a temporary copy of given option file and open the chart options page to edit it, saving some steps. Of course if you are doing something regularly, say using Sedna in natals for example, you can already do the following:
  1. Choose Chart Options from the Start screen.
  2. Default Natal should be displayed.
  3. Edit the options file name to for example "Natal with Sedna".
  4. Check the Sedna box.
  5. Save the file.
Now you can select Natal with Sedna any time you wish when you cast a chart, but Default Natal options will be unchanged. To make a variation of Default Ingress, load it at step 2.
Time matters

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 pm

BTW, internally the history can hold 18 files, though only nine are shown.
Time matters

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:15 am

Once I perfect the temporary options file idea, I will have a version that does everything that 0.3 does but better. I'm seriously thinking of releasing something, say 0.4-preview, while I work on transits.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:33 am

:)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:54 am

I figured out how to do the temporary options idea. The New Chart, Solunars, and Ingresses pages will have a button marked Temporary, this button will open the Options page with the appropriate default options loaded and instructions to save a temporary copy. After making the desired edits, hit Save and hit Back, which will return to the Natal, Solunars, or Ingresses page with the edited options loaded.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:35 am

I like the flexibility of this. For example, one Could edit the defaults if one wanted - sounds like it doesn't matter whether it's an old file or new file.

Does this allow, instead, just loading a previously created options file?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:02 pm

I can also do that. Let's try selecting an option file first with the Select button or typing in the file name (Example "JE Natal"), then if you wish to edit it for this chart only, click the temporary button and the file you've selected will be loaded, and proceed as above. To use an already existing options file, just use the Select button or type in the name of the options desired. These predefined options will be used for this chart. Again, if you want a new option set to use for many different charts , create a new option file via the Start Page before casting charts.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:11 pm

Cool :)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:14 pm

I have the code perfected for new charts and recalculated charts, when I finish porting the code to the Solunars and Ingresses pages and testing, I will build and release 0.4-preview and get back to work on transits.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:15 am

Mike, for whatever use it might be to you, I did a comparison of ingress calculated times SF 8 vs. TMSA 0.4 on last night's Houston event.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5693&p=41632#p41632

I don't think it gives anything new - small discrepancies in the calculation, probably from an improved SE code over the years. But it might serve your curiosity.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:46 am

https://i.imgur.com/6LNfEdj.jpg

Thought you might find this screenshot of the revised Ingresses page interesting (not all the code to make it workable is written yet, and a Recent Locations button needs to be added). Corresponding changes will be made to the Solunars page, and Transit, Progression and Direction pages will be similar. The location will be by default taken from the specified chart if any or the most recent location used, but may be changed manually or from the recent charts feature. Notice the default selection for search is now In Effect At Date, and the All Selected Ingresses... one year burst starts out disabled (changing the search direction to Forward or Backward will enable it). I decided to take a little longer and do this right.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:56 am

What does "In effect at date" mean? (For ingresses, it would seem to be the same as Backwards. Do you mean something different?)

Having the option to take everything from a specific chart allows for a particular time of day, so the page shown doesn't need time added. (From a specific chart option gives a nice, logical workflow.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:34 am

I might rephrase that, the design isn't final. It is very similar to Backwards search for Ingresses (except for the burst feature being disabled/enabled). For Solunars, it works out quite differently depending on where in the solar/lunar cycles we are. For example, let's say I pick a date which happens to be a month after the current SSR and three days after the current SLR and I've selected all the demis and quartis as well as the full SSR and SSR. Backward search will calculate and display the eight most recent charts whether they are active or not. By contrast, the In Effect option will only calculate anddisplay active charts: the SSR and SLR only in this case, as no demis or quartis will be active. There will be six active charts for a date in the last quarter of the SSR year and the last week of the SLR.

I will also add time fields comparable to what are used for natal charts, defaulting to the selected chart time or the current time.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:07 pm

An aside: For simplicity and clarity, perhaps "Permanent Charts" and "Temporary Charts" should be "Save Charts" and "Do Not Save".

Back to the current:
mikestar13 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:34 am
I might rephrase that, the design isn't final. It is very similar to Backwards search for Ingresses (except for the burst feature being disabled/enabled).
Disabled in which? (I'm lost. Not yet getting your vision on this.)
For Solunars, it works out quite differently depending on where in the solar/lunar cycles we are. For example, let's say I pick a date which happens to be a month after the current SSR and three days after the current SLR and I've selected all the demis and quartis as well as the full SSR and SSR. Backward search will calculate and display the eight most recent charts whether they are active or not. By contrast, the In Effect option will only calculate and display active charts: the SSR and SLR only in this case, as no demis or quartis will be active. There will be six active charts for a date in the last quarter of the SSR year and the last week of the SLR.
Got it (for solunars - still unclear on ingresses). This is cool. First thought is that "In Effect" should be the first item on the list, as the most commonly used; but I'd like to other people's opinion on which sequence makes more sense to them (guides their synapses to a selection).

Suggestion: To get more to your exact intent, change "In Effect" to "Active Now." ('Now ' may be confusing if you're picking another date in the past, though. It would be perfect if just being used for current stuff. May need tweaking.)

Another consideration on this for solunars, which differs from ingresses: Ingresses are active only from the instant they occur. (There isn't a conjunction or other aspect involved. Crossing a sign boundary is a razor-thin event.) But lunar returns are clearly active 24 hours ahead of occurring. (This behaves like an aspect: Gradually swooping into activity from nil to maximum, not sharply beginning at one instant.)

The 24 hours probably is approximate. In fact, it might indeed be an aspect curve and, therefore, start 15°00' out, which would produce about the same effect. If it IS an aspect curve, then this makes things complicated (or at least interesting!) for solar returns: Are they really "swooping in" two weeks (15 days) ahead of time? I've never gotten a clear sense of exactly when the SSR snaps into effect since, from the start of "mop-up" (about 80% of the way through the year) it seems that the old year is speeding to a conclusion AND life is rearranging itself to set us up for the new year - sometimes this "setup" is hard to distinguish from "I'm starting to feel the new chart." I can pretty much always tell, though, that the SSR is about to occur, as if feelings and events were racing the lock to the end of someone's shift before they handed off to the other worker coming in.

Practical suggestion (probably most useful + easier to code than some other approaches): For the "In Effect" or "Active Now" or whatever option, if Sun (for a solar return) or Moon (for a lunar return) is within 15° of the next return, calculate the upcoming one also, as a "bonus chart." The astrologer can decide which one(s) to read.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:25 pm

I think this version of the form will be more suitable: https://i.imgur.com/XdVFxA3.jpg

The code to fill in default values for the time remains to be written. When complete, the current time in UT will be displayed, and if an optional event chart is selected, the date, time, and location will be filled in with values from that chart. I aim to perfect ingresses first then copy the relevant code from to the Solunars page.

To repeat my assumptions:

An ingress is active until the next corresponding ingress, though a stronger ingress may predominate. Example the 2021 Libsolar is still active even after the 2022 Capsolar, though the stronger Capsolar will predominate. The2021 Libsolar will no longer be active after the 2022 Libsolar.

A demi return is active only until the next full SSR/SLR, a quarti return is active only until the next full/demi SSR/SLR.
Time matters

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:39 pm

I will incorporate ideas from your above post in the code for the final Ingresses and Solunars pages, with the "bonus chart" for Solunars only. My experience has be that my 2022 SSR will come into effect before the exact date and time, but my 2021 SSR won't become inactive until that date and time. Relocation very close to the time of the SSR raises interesting questions for which I don't have answers.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:00 pm

mikestar13 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:25 pm
I think this version of the form will be more suitable: https://i.imgur.com/XdVFxA3.jpg
What does the title "optional event chart" mean? (I could guess, based on some things you've said before, but I'd be guessing.) Is it a separate feature similar to a solunars page, and/or what other charts is it tied into? (This one shows it with ingress charts.)

Oh, wait, is that a button? (It looks like a page title. I had to pull up the program to remind myself there were no page titles.) Maybe it could go after the next line of options? (Maybe shorten to: "Event Chart (opt.)")
To repeat my assumptions:

An ingress is active until the next corresponding ingress, though a stronger ingress may predominate. Example the 2021 Libsolar is still active even after the 2022 Capsolar, though the stronger Capsolar will predominate. The 2021 Libsolar will no longer be active after the 2022 Libsolar.
Exactly. Or, to state it more strongly, generally nobody will notice the Libsolar after a non-dormant Capsolar occurs for a location 3 months later.
A demi return is active only until the next full SSR/SLR, a quarti return is active only until the next full/demi SSR/SLR.
Yes, that's always been the theory, and is my experience with demis.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:05 pm

mikestar13 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:39 pm
I will incorporate ideas from your above post in the code for the final Ingresses and Solunars pages, with the "bonus chart" for Solunars only. My experience has be that my 2022 SSR will come into effect before the exact date and time, but my 2021 SSR won't become inactive until that date and time. Relocation very close to the time of the SSR raises interesting questions for which I don't have answers.
Yes, these are quite interesting questions. I recently encountered it with my new SSR: Here I am, living in LA, with an approaching SSR. I already knew I'd spend my birthday in Memphis, but I suspect that the mechanics that govern the natural unfolding of these charts didn't "know" I wouldn't be in LA. Does the inner unfolding process therefore start "setting me up" for the LA SSR (which will never occur) or for the SSR I'll eventually have? And, once I "pull a fast one" on the universe and have a new SSR in Memphis, what dominoes start falling, required to rearrange the momentum that existed up until that point? - Unfortunately (or, perhaps, fortunately) actual life is so seamless that I can't observe anything in my actual life in the last month and a half that would answer these questions.

From a calculation pov, though, one can only presume the same location.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:50 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:00 pm
Oh, wait, is that a button? (It looks like a page title. I had to pull up the program to remind myself there were no page titles.) Maybe it could go after the next line of options? (Maybe shorten to: "Event Chart (opt.)")
I think is a good suggestion and I will implement it. I didn't exactly care for the button at the top of the page. This should improve things.
Time matters

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:21 pm

Speculation: maybe what is happening is that a solunar isn't actually effective before it occurs, but it feels as if it were. Solunars are intrinsically personal and ingresses are not. The two types of charts are quite different (as if one couldn't guess that from the fact of having different angularity curves alone!). I don't think it's possible to "pull a fast one" on the universe, but it is very possible to "pull a fast one" on your inner self, which is in touch with the Love at the Heart of the Universe (synonymous with that which I call God), but does not share the Love's omniscience and infallibility (though it comes closer to those attributes that your outer self does).

In any case I'd like to see the chart in the cases you cite.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:33 pm

mikestar13 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:21 pm
In any case I'd like to see the chart in the cases you cite.
You mean my recent SSR switch? Or are you referring to something else I mentioned?

If you mean my SSR switch, calculate my 10/10/2020 SSR for 36N52'16", 113W57'40" (where it set up); my 2021 SSR for my home in LA, where it "seemed" the SSR would occur (34N03'46", 118W18'47"); and my 2021 SSR for where it actually occurred in Memphis, at 35N07'57", 90W03'29".
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:57 pm

No I was referring to general situation of solunars that are within 15° before exact. Thanks for the data though, casting your 2021 SSR for both LA and Memphis should be an interesting case study--maybe both will manifest, but outstanding events should they occur will show more strongly in the Memphis chart, if I don't miss my guess.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:16 pm

I don't have a track of these written down anywhere - just a random remark here and there. But every single chart manifests subjectively, and often in terms of events, almost exactly a day before it actually occurs - a little more than a day rather than a little less - month in and out for all the decades I've been watching. Similarly, in my monthly forecasts of the presidents' SLR and Demi-SLR, quite often we see in the news a clear shift the day before.

I'll dig through my few dozen saved samples and see if I can find some recorded that way. Not sure if I kept any in the teaching catalogue.

The 15° is a speculation of what may be the actual underlying effect, what the "day or a bit more" might mean, since Moon averages around 13°/day.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by mikestar13 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:41 pm

I think 15° is a good approximation at least for SLRs and probably for SSRs. I'm not sure what the actual maker is and how it varies from case to case (if it does). In any case, we are looking for a range of times to search, not an accurate to the second moment to cast a chart for. I don't think anyone wants to look at charts for when a luminary is 15° from exact to its return.
Time matters