Knowledge is Power (Millard example)

Q&A and discussion on Medical Astrology (the astrology of health and illness)
Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Knowledge is Power (Millard example)

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu May 25, 2023 1:45 pm

Whitney, Apr 23, 1940, 4:50 PM, Queens, NY
Dr. Millard wrote:Whitney [a physician] discovered a thickening in his right testicle, realized what it meant and at once sought surgical advice... It was only in Stage 1, which meant that the lymph nodes draining the site were uninvolved. He had two immediate operations; an orchidectomy to remove the embryonal seminoma, and a pelvic lymph gland removal to stage it. Although the five year period for clinical cure has not yet gone by... his physicians were sure that there is no danger of a recurrence... On February 28, 1975 his cancer was discovered.
My analysis: This is straightforward: Mars (in the remote background, only 0°01' from a cadent cusp) is in Taurus. If there was to be cutting, inflammation, or other Mars action to his health, it probably would be to his genitals. (Some would attribute this to the Scorpio Moon.)

He has no background hard aspects unless you count the Class 2 Venus-Mars conjunction. His strongest aspects are Sun conjunct Saturn, both square Pluto - much closer in mundo than ecliptically. Pluto, Saturn, and his angular Mercury are his strongest planets, describing his path to medicine (at least: toward science as a profession).

The body part is clear; but how about the cancer? I'm not sure we have a clear signature for cancer, or that every variation has the same signature. (Often I've seen the body part afflicted to be what clearly shows, not cancer per se.) I've speculated the cell proliferation is a Pluto feature, but perhaps Pluto's prominence in many cancer stories is only one's confrontation with the idea of possible death. Does anything clarify at the time of his diagnosis?

For his Dx, there were no solar arc hits. By secondary progression, Jupiter was in slow partile conjunction with his Sun, surely giving protection. However, it's the transits that capture my attention: Transiting Pluto at 14°15' Virgo had latitude 17N15 so that it crossed MC, IC, EP, and WP when the angle was 21°41' Virgo. Whitney's natal EPa was 22°49' Virgo if his 4:50 PM birthtime is exactly right, so Pluto (retrograde at the time) had been transiting natal EP in RA for a time right before his discovery.

A lot of major transits were nearing a climax, which I usually take as a signal that life is about to change significantly. Besides Pluto to one angle (with others ahead in the years immediately following), Uranus was about to oppose his Sun and Saturn about to cross his MC. These are life transition markers. (Saturn was octile his Moon at the time, also.)

His SSR (which was nearly a year earlier) had a 0°01' Mars-Saturn conjunction on EPa and a mundane natal Mercury-Pluto square (not existing in his actual natal, just formed by the SSR) also foreground. This could be expected to be a rough year somehow with some self-confrontation and deep digging.

His February 4 SLR had Venus most angular, but the one foreground aspect was Neptune square natal Neptune (which was on MC < 2°). Surely there was anxiety. His February 19 Demi-SLR is a really positive chart: Natal Jupiter setting, transiting Uranus on EPa, with Uranus transiting his natal Sun and Pluto closely: Surely this is the great fortune to have discovered this at an early stage.

But I think none of these shows the cancer as such unless it is the Pluto transit to his EPa. What we find easily is the body part affected, by natal Mars in Taurus.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com