Los Angeles Sidereal Astrology Class

General discussion. What do you want to talk about?
Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Re: Los Angeles Sidereal Astrology Class

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:28 am

Danica, I just remembered that I gave a couple of metaphors for this navigation. In a room heavily populated by people who have spent much time on self-awareness, who have been learning just to tune into the universe and read its relationship to them, why do we need something like astrology as a guide?

The answer is that there is still a lot of blindness, even for those with enhanced sensitivity. I compared it to a driver having a good feel of exactly how fast he or she is going, just from how the car feels and the terrain is passing, etc. But we've all been surprised to discover we're not really going the speed we thought, so it's really useful to have a speedometer to check as needed - something to supplement our honed subjective perceptions with measurable data.

One can have a good feel of the weather by looking outside, seeing the conditions, feeling the air, knowing what's usual for your location and the time of year - bringing all the same sorts of skills that we might bring to subjectively navigating our way through life. Still, there often will be larger weather forces that you can't see locally - continent-spanning air shifts and flows, etc. - that soon will converge and give a very different picture than your subjective impressions (however well-honed) could give. Meteorology can provide this information on the weather, as astrology can provide it for your life.

It's fine to swim against the tide if you don't like which way the tide is going and you're a strong swimmer; but it helps a great deal to know for sure which way the tide is going.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:58 am

Re attribution of 10 astrological planets to the ten clusters of basic human needs - I have not come across it anywhere else in the specific structured way as you presented it to us on the last class.
It's a very valuable approach.

I've been observing people that I come into contact with and whose charts I know, and reflecting of the most prominent needs as shown by their angular planets; then during the weekend, I've focused solely on the planets (needs-clusters) ruling - which includes exaltation - their Sol & Luna constellations, i.e.: a Libra Sun with Capricorn Moon would be a person whose primary clusters of needs are: Affection needs and Survival & other material needs, and add to that Power needs (Capricorn is Mars' exaltation). This reveals so much about the person! Even if the Sol & Luna signs were the only thing we had (not knowing angularity and aspects in the chart), we could say with much certainty by which basic needs is the person primarily motivated, and this indeed gives a lot of insight into that person's life and the character-formation tendencies.

I've looked into adding the info of absence-of such-and-such needs as pronounced, as the opposing sing/ruling planets would indicate; but this does not seem obvious and straightforward, and for now seems only to add confusion if I include it, so I'm leaving it out from consideration. (Example: Leo would be Individuation needs pronounced, and Freedom & renewal needs lacking/absent)
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Thanks :) I'm not surprised you/re getting this quickly. Yes, often this approach "leads you right up to the door" of who they are.

We all have all of these ten clusters of needs. It isn't a matter of having certain needs or not... it's a matter of HOW STRONG particular needs are. As a Virgo-Aquarius it seems pretty clear to see that my information needs and the needs for freedom an renewal are extremely strong in me, and knowing that could be quite useful to people in understanding me - just by Sun and Moon sign.

As you say: Once we know what needs are strongest, and most drive a person, we don't need a book to describe their behavior: Our own understanding of human behavior gives this.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:47 pm

For those who are unfamiliar with what Danica mentioned, the information on the needs clusters is here in my basic thread on planet natures:
https://solunars.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31#p110
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:01 am

And the Sidereal Foundations class is completed. Last night was a "bonus" 13th class because it turned out we needed one more than planned.

Thank you to everybody who participated.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com