Sidereal Natal Interpretations in Solar Fire

Because so many of us use Solar Fire, this space collates tips & custom templates.
Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Sidereal Natal Interpretations in Solar Fire

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 am

The interpretation template linked above had expired:
https://solunars.com/viewtopic.php?f=9& ... 753#p13753

I've updated the download link so everyone should be able to get to it.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Arena
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Arena » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:21 am

Hey guys!
I've finally got SF up and running again. OMG, what a joy :)

Now I really would like to write my own interpretation files. I am hoping I can perhaps use some of your material Jim, with your permission, and then build on that with material from different directions and put it all together in one file. But I am not sure how I can make my own file. Am currently reading some instructions within SF help.

I do not want to download your file to override the original interpretation files in SF since I might want to use material from both of them. Can you please guide me into the right direction on how to be able to open and use both?

Right now, I am reading the SF instructions on how to edit, but this means just editing their own file and not how I could possibly combine the two.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:31 am

Arena, I don't recommend using their editor tool directly. It's cumbersome and I found it often screwing up the intended results. I suggest the following:

Export the interpretation file as a text file. Edit it with Notepad or another simple, non-formatting text editor. Then reimport it to Solar Fire.

More specifically:

Your interpretation files are stored in the SF folder under Solar Fire User Files | Interpretations.

To export a file: Click Interps | Interpretation Files | Natal. Pick a file you want to export. Click Edit. In the Interpretations Editor box that appear, pick File | Decompile, give it a name. It will save it as a .def file, which is just a text file you can open in Notepad.

To edit an exported file: Just preserve the format that you find. It's easiest to start with an existing file and change the text assigned. If my sample file doesn't have all the options you want, export one of the built-in major files, such as Standard, to see the format.

To import a file (whether mine, one you have constructed, or whatever): Reverse the above procedure. Make sure the .def file is in the Interpretations folder. To back to Interps | Interpretation Files | Natal and click Edit. In the new box, click File | Compile, specify the name/location of the definition file and the desired output file, then click the Compile button.

When you run the interpretations, you have to pick the definition file each time. I find it doesn't retain your last choice.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Arena
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Arena » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:49 am

Thanks Jim. I will try this.

Lance
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 am

Jim, if you don't mind, would you please update the Word Doc link so that it is active again?

Thank you.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:01 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 pm
Jim Eshelman wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 am

Jim, if you don't mind, would you please update the Word Doc link so that it is active again?
Strange, it's supposed to not change when the filename doesn't change. In any case, I've now updated it in the first post on this thread, and here it is again: https://1drv.ms/w/s!Ansnmu2xbktamtJAxhH ... g?e=Pll2md
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Arena wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:21 am
I do not want to download your file to override the original interpretation files in SF since I might want to use material from both of them. Can you please guide me into the right direction on how to be able to open and use both?
I'm sure you already found this in the SF instructions, but in case you didn't..
The instructions here include how to to save a copy of your original interpretations file under another name so you have one saved and one you can edit without worrying about overwriting the original.

https://alabe.com/solarfirehelp/index.h ... _files.htm
>> To save a copy of the current interpretations file under a new name
1. Select the Save As option from the File menu.
2. This will display a standard “File Save” dialog, in which you can select a new name for the interpretations file, and optionally a different folder. It is recommended that you keep your new interpretation files in Solar Fire’s \INTERPS folder, because that is the only folder that Solar Fire can access interpretations from (there is an exception to this - see Files and Paths). Also, the new file name must be an acceptable file name and end with a “.int” extension.
3. Click on the OK button. You will then be returned to the interpretations editor and the newly saved copy will be open instead of the original file.