Betelgeuse (Alpha Orionis) - 4°01' Gemini

Q&A and discussion on Fixed Stars
Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Betelgeuse (Alpha Orionis) - 4°01' Gemini

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Red supergiant Betelgeuse (say "Alpha Orionis" three times :)) is a variable star in Orion's right shoulder shifting from about 1st magnitude to much brighter - sometimes brighter than Rigel, sometimes dimmer. Its infrared output is so intense that, in that light band, it (and not Sirius) is the brightest star in the night sky.

The origin of its name is uncertain, but all of the main theories make it an anatomical reference. The most credible is one that ultimately traces back to "Orion's hand." (The Arabic name for Orion, al-Jauza, means "the Central One.") The giant figure is a warrior archetype, with its setting just after Scorpio rises often depicted as a battle between the two resulting in Orion's death.

Ptolemy characterized the stars in Orion's upper extremities as resembling Mars and Mercury. Ebertin agrees that the star is like "Mars with a touch of Mercury." He wrote:
Ebertin wrote:Placed in the angles, preferment, luck, success, and even ever-lasting fame are promised. On the Ascendant and in conjunction with Mars there will be danger of death by lightning, fire explosion, fire arms or similar things.
Elsbeth Ebertin found a period of Node conjunct Betelgeuse when "groups of people died by lightning or were victims of explosions or assassinations."

Robson says, "It gives martial honour, preferment, and wealth." Then (it looks to me like switching gears) he says that with the Sun it shows, "Interest in and ability for occult and mystical subjects; acute diseases, fevers, hour and preferment ending in final ruin." With Moon it gives, "active mind, strong will, turbulent, rebellious under restraint," and various military and quarrelsome notes which sound to me like a Mars version of Moon in Gemini.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Betelgeuse (Alpha Orionis) - 4°01' Gemini

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:45 pm

Manilius' treatment of Orion (albeit he spoke of it when rising, and although it is in some ways confusing) seems somewhat with Ebertin's primary treatment of the star.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1647&p=10470#p10470

This fits Ebertin's observations of success and preferment but not the additional observations involving fire, lightning, explosion, gun fire, or other terminal violence.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:13 pm

How fitting that my Asc. Is almost conjunct this Star and I named my son Orion.
Glad its not exact as I am not keen on getting hit by lightening....but as an aside I LOVE lightening storms my whole life. My mom would gave to call me into the house. A tree in my back yard was hit and then a tree in the frobt a few years later. I gathered up the vark and kept it bc it was so cool to me how the energy blew it off.
My neighbor said in his Mayan Calander I was the same as Tesla and that we resonate alot of electromagnegtic energy. I do zap electronics sometimes.
Im not to keen being around guns either. I like them...the power and mechanixalness of them but Ive thought about getting one and thought it wouldnt ve a good idea as it might get used against me.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:42 pm

This one isn't likely a hit, Veronica. First of all, even ecliptically this is outside the 1° orb, and your birth time seems pretty accurate. Second, I seriously doubt stars are angular ecliptically, since nothing else works that way.

If it turns out that oppositions are valid, I'd count this one as opposite your Pluto (0°45'). I'm not sure what that means (if anything), but I thought I'd mention it.

Measured mundanely, Betelgeuse is about 12° below your Ascendant. It rises (for your birth date and place) when Ascendant is 19° Gemini.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Oh, well. Thats good actually.
I must be misubderstanding something then bc I just assumed that if my Asc was at 5 degrees Gemini then it was kibda close. Yet....In space kinda close is still actually very very far in real distance. Glad Im not likely to get hit by lightening.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Is it going supernova?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:59 am

Watch this star and degree. This star may be about to go supernova and, after a few months of transition, disappear forever.

In any case, it's dramatically reduced in brightness since October. Astronomers are watching to see what happens next.

UPDATE 6/8/21: This seems to have stabilized by February 2020. Current thought is that it ejected a massive amount of matter into space which temporarily reduced its visibility, and this has no dispersed. At the moment, it seems to have stabilized, perhaps after a gigantic 2019 event of some sort.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:03 pm

Betelgeuse is exactly rising for the current Dalai Lama.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:37 pm

I just noticed that Rob Hand has Betelgeuse exactly rising. I note this here so that I consider him if drawing any serious conclusions about the star.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 am

Jim wrote:
The most credible is one that ultimately traces back to "Orion's hand." (The Arabic name for Orion, al-Jauza, means "the Central One.")
Ebertin wrote:
Placed in the angles, preferment, luck, success, and even ever-lasting fame are promised…
Jim wrote:
I just noticed that Rob Hand has Betelgeuse exactly rising. I note this here so that I consider him if drawing any serious conclusions about the star.
Without a doubt, Rob in his prime, was the “Central One” (Astrologer) and rose to “ever-lasting fame” relative as a teaching astrologer-- at one time in his life being in the most public demand from other learning astrologers.