Solar Arc Directions

Q&A and discussion on Solar Arc Directions.
SteveS
Nabu
Re: Solar Arc Directions

Post by SteveS » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:19 am

Jim wrote in another thread:
BTW, under the logic that Trump's natal chart is an "alter ego" nativity for the United States, this also would mean that things are very malefic for the U.S. in the fall.
This is so true and sets me to astrological pondering pertaining to 2020 Prez Election!
Months ago I did my own complete analysis for Trump pertaining to the 2020 Prez Election; and, without knowing where Trump will be located for his important Sidereal Astrology Return Charts pertaining to Prez Election, I mainly only relied on transits to his Natal Chart (including midpoints) which are very malefic---mostly related to the slow transits of Saturn & Pluto. It is becoming obvious these malefic slow transits to Trump's Natal Chart are indeed showing-up with malefic events happening in the Nation---Pandemic/Bad Economy/Protests-George Floyd/Looting. It seems highly improbable with these negative national events Trump has much of a chance to get re-elected.

So, I thought I would do a Noel Tyl Election analysis pertaining to his book “Solar Arcs-- Astrology's Most Successful Predictive System” for Trump since we have an AA rated chart. Noel plainly instructs his readers: Major life developments manifests either with Natal Planets Solar Arcing = the Natal Angles 0,90,180; or, with Solar Arcs (Directions) of the Angles 0,90,180 = the Natal Planets, labeled by Noel as Direct Solar Arcs.

But, Noel states in his book there is another class of Solar Arching the Natal Angles he labeled “Indirect Solar Arcs.” An Indirect Solar Arc of a Natal Angle involves only Solar Arcing the Natal Angles to the Midpoints of a Natal Chart (pages 75- 81). Noel said many times an Indirect Solar Arc “is vitally important” for manifesting important life events, and are not to be over-looked. Noel also plainly states on page 47 of his book:
The Midheaven especially denotes the profession (in adult life).
Noel also plainly states Direct Solar Arcs are the Kingpin Predictors combined with transits to the Natal and the secondary progressed Natal Moon-- involving important events in 'life developments'. Noel repeats this several times in his book.

There is nothing happening with planetary Direct Solar Arcs with Trumps Natal MC or Direct Solar Arcs with Trump's Solar Arc MC to his Natal Planets on Election Day (0,90,180 aspects) So, Noel teaches we then have to look at Trump's Indirect Solar Arc MC to his Natal Midpoints. On Election Day Nov 3 2020, Trump has only one Indirect Solar Arc involving his Natal MC: Trump's Solar Arc MC partile conjunct his Jupiter/MC Natal Midpoint. I could quote a-lot of Noels and Ebertin's delineations for Natal Jupiter/MC, but I am sure we all realize this is a MC Solar Arc to a very important benefic Natal Midpoint involving Trump's profession (Prez of USA).

Noel's teachings about Indirect Solar Arcs involving Natal Midpoints are strongly supported by Robert Hand's teachings where he states:
The effects of individual midpoints will be seen most clearly when they are set off by dynamic factors such as transits, solar arc directions, or progressions. Not all Natal Midpoints are to be taken equally. Midpoints involving the Sun, Moon, Midheaven, or Ascendant are to be taken more seriously than others.
So, on election day Nov 3, Trump is under a most important benefic Indirect Solar Arc MC partile conjunct his Natal Jupiter/MC Midpoint. This will be a most interesting test for how Noel Tyl and Robert Hand used Solar Arc Angles to Natal Midpoints for timing important events in one's life. But, Trump's transits to his Natal Chart on Election Day are very malefic??? This is somewhat a contradiction with this benefic Solar Arc MC to his Jupiter/MC Midpoint on Election Day. I can only guess what this may mean if Trump happens to win a second term: He will have his hands full dealing with very malefic things happening in the Nation. We already know half the voting public from the last Prez Election hates Trump with a passion---the Nation is divided. :(

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:33 am

Continuing my same observations from the previous post about Noel's "Indirect" Solar Arcs to Natal Midpoints, using Solar Arc directions (d) for Trump's MC (Profession, Career goals & objectives), it becomes even more benefic with transits (t) for him on a possible 2nd term with a Jan 20, 2021 Inauguration (DC 12:00 PM) with this:

d. MC 11,41 Cancer
t. Jupiter 12,21 Cap
r. Jupiter/MC 11,53 Cancer

We see two direct Jupiter aspects (directed & transits) involving Trump's Jupiter/MC Midpoint on 2021 Inauguration.

More later with Noel's book: "Solar Arcs--Astrology's Most Successful Predicted System" pertaining to a possible Trump 2021 Inauguration.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:43 am

Solar arcs give a different view of that time than other predictive methods. I've now said for at least a couple of months in my Trump Watch predictions:
Among his Solar Arc directions, d Moon is sqq. r Jupiter and d Mars sqq. r Sun, both of which will be exact near Election Day. This actualizes his natal Mo/Su = Ma/Ju 0°03' (conjunction at 28°05'/08' Leo).

This is the key to how Cosmobiologists use Solar Arcs: Not so much looking for midpoints as discovering complex natal patterns as planet-to-planet aspects unfold. In this case, d Moon to natal Jupiter occurring simultaneously with d Mars to natal Sun clues us that in the natal chart thMoon/Sun midpoint aspects the Mars/Jupiter midpoint. Checking discloses that the two are 0°03' apart. Mo/Su = Ma/Ju could be taken easily as an important signal of competitive excellence, success in combat, etc. - winning a contest.

So... that worries me.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:05 am

Excellent Cosmobiolgy Points Jim. When I first discovered Cosmobiology in the late mid 80s, I never had enough time to seriously study some of its key books which I purchased--I was working 12-14 hours a day with my Theater. It has only been in the last few months since I have had the retired time to pull out some of those Cosmobiology books I never got around to for a serious study. Posting about em on this forum is like a study notebook for me in order for my learning. And your added experience observations is a learning bonus for me. Posting on this forum helps me learn things in a better way.

I know this: What little I learned from a day teaching seminar in Vegas from Eleonora Kimmel and teaching tapes from Robert Hand on Cosmobiology impressed me a-lot. What really appealed to my Virgo mind were the precise details involved with Cosmobiology. I knew if I could ever get these details down it would become a reliable predictor for known future scheduled events with AA charts. I just never had the time until now to seriously study the finer details which you already understand in a Virgo manner.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:59 am

I'm not saying these things work, merely that this is the approach and they may work. Historically I've seen some good examples (and Ebertin's books include some of the best examples), but that's not the same as looking forward and counting on it to work - especially when other, known-reliable things contradict.

By Cosmo working procedure, those two planet-to-planet Solar Arcs disclose a natal planetary pattern of Mo/Su = Ma/Ju. (This is the ay that Solar Arcs fulfill something many schools of astrology consider important: That nothing important happens unless it is already in the birth chart. Since Solar Arcs unlock the birth chart's mathematical structures, one can argue that they never show anything that's not already in the birth chart.) Because it is on the Moon/Sun midpoint, it would be considered one of th most important, fundamental axes in the chart.

Procedure would be to analyze the entire axis of that Mo/Su = Ma/Ju planetary picture. However, on a 45° sort, no other points or midpoints (besides Moon and Sun) are within 1° of either Mo/Su or Ma/Ju.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:18 pm

I understand Jim. I just found a very important detail from Eleonora's book the "Fundamentals of Cosmobiology" where she states:
A directed aspect along does not bring about an event, but is always triggered off by transits.
I interpret this to mean on Election Day Trump's Solar Arc MC partile conjuncts his Jupiter/MC is meaningless unless a transit triggers this Solar Arc off. But on 2021 Inauguration we see transiting Jupiter does trigger Trump's Jupiter/MC =Solar Arc MC.

Noel Tyl would certainly agree with Eleonora but adds by saying many times in his book "Solar Arcs:"

A Solar Arc can be fired off with Natal Moon Secondary Progression 0,90,180 aspects to the Natal Chart. It just so happens on 2021 Inauguration Trump's Secondary Progressed Natal Moon is 27,17 Leo partile 90 sp Uranus forming a sp Moon/Uranus with his sp MC. But probably more important, this sp Moon at 27,17 Leo is almost partile 90 his Natal Full Moon. By Noel's methodology, both t. Jupiter and sp Moon will be definite triggers narrowed down to 2021 Inauguration Day.

Again from Noel's book Solar Arcs, pg 120:
Solar Arcs are kingpin predictors with transits and sp Natal Moon triggers.

I think using Cosmobiology Midpoint and Solar Arc techniques, your above observations for Election Day shows excellent symbolism for a possible Trump win, and Noel's guidelines from his book are strong for Trump on 2021 Inauguration Day. But TIME itself only knows for sure.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:26 pm

Shit. For inauguration '21 he has progressed Moon square natal Moon to the minute.

That interests me far more than all the solar arcs in the world and it does not make me happy.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:25 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:26 pm
Shit. For inauguration '21 he has progressed Moon square natal Moon to the minute.
I just dug through the progressions section of the forum and can't find Moon progressed to Moon described anywhere. I'm sure its there, but I can't find it. Could you elaborate?

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:30 pm

Probably not there. It would be roughly the same as SSR Moon to natal Moon. The main thing I'm alerting to here is a very high, bright, gratifying blended with a sense of publicity.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:42 pm

Well, if Fox news just played tapes of Obama's inauguration with Trump's face dubbed in, that would give the same effect, wouldn't it? Maybe there'll be a sycophant gathering at Mar-A-Lago. Jared in a toga rising from a fountain with harps playing. Or something.

Doesn't mean he has to be being inaugurated.
Maybe it means he has a big media event filing to run in four years that Fox plays instead of most of the inauguration.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:47 pm

I found it.
SOLAR MOON ASPECTS WITH NATAL PLANETS
Moon-Moon
Strong emotional responsiveness toward (affinity with) the environment and its occupants. “Feelers” extended (strongly affected by what happens); feelings experienced more immediately, intensely (moodiness). Adaptation (change, vacillation, confusion). Nurtured by attention (center of attention, rapport with public or audience). Familiar surroundings augment security (domesticity, “nesting”).
That's Trump at Mar-A-Lago, throwing the remote at the TV with Ivanka and Jared retrieving it for him and making soothing sounds.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:55 pm

Oh, and it'll help if its snowing or raining in DC.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:01 pm

Jim wrote:
d Moon to natal Jupiter occurring simultaneously with d Mars to natal Sun clues us that in the natal chart thMoon/Sun midpoint aspects the Mars/Jupiter midpoint.
Jim, could you explain more why d Moon to natal Jupiter and d Mars to Natal Sun clues us in to look at his Moon/Sun and Mars/Jupiter midpoints? Thanks.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:55 am

It has to be one from each transit paired. If you look ay the four planets in the horoscope, you'll probably see at a glancr which it has to be. (If not, I'll give a picture in the morning.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:14 am

I think the occuring simultaneously is important too.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:41 am

Jim wrote:
It has to be one from each transit paired.
I don't understand. I could possibly understand your above statement, if it read: It has to be one from each direction paired, instead "one from each transit paired." :?:

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:00 am

Badly written with a typo and no eyes to see this with. (Mostly, I can type and not look at what I'm typing at the moment.)

Direction #1 is directed Moon and natal Jupiter. (Call that Pair #1.) The second one is directed Mars to natal Sun. (Call that Pair #2.)

It will always be the midpoint of of the directed planet from Pair #1 and the natal planet from {air #2, then the midpoint of the direct planet from Pair #2 and the natal planet from Pair #1.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:05 am

Here's a picture that makes it visually clearer. I've just shown the four planets involved in the two directions. Knowing that this WILL be two midpoints conjunct, at a glance you can see that it will be the Mars/Jupiter midpoint on the Moon/Sun midpoint. No other arrangement has the points half-way between aligned. In case aspects other than the conjunction are involved, it's very obvious on the dial, too.
Trump midpoints.jpg
Trump midpoints dial.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:04 pm

Jim wrote:
Badly written with a typo and no eyes to see this with. (Mostly, I can type and not look at what I'm typing at the moment.)
Jim, I knew you were losing sight in one eye. Are you now losing sight in the other eye?

I now understand better Jim (much thanks), but want to understand this type methodology much better.

Jim wrote:
Among his Solar Arc directions, d Moon is sqq. r Jupiter and d Mars sqq. r Sun, both of which will be exact near Election Day. This actualizes his natal Mo/Su = Ma/Ju 0°03' (conjunction at 28°05'/08' Leo). This is the key to how Cosmobiologists use Solar Arcs: Not so much looking for midpoints as discovering complex natal patterns as planet-to-planet aspects unfold. I'm not saying these things work, merely that this is the approach and they may work. Historically I've seen some good examples (and Ebertin's books include some of the best examples), but that's not the same as looking forward and counting on it to work - especially when other, known-reliable things contradict.

By Cosmo working procedure, those two planet-to-planet Solar Arcs disclose a natal planetary pattern of Mo/Su = Ma/Ju. (This is the ay that Solar Arcs fulfill something many schools of astrology consider important: That nothing important happens unless it is already in the birth chart. Since Solar Arcs unlock the birth chart's mathematical structures, one can argue that they never show anything that's not already in the birth chart.) Because it is on the Moon/Sun midpoint, it would be considered one of th most important, fundamental axes in the chart.
Jim, this type analysis for Solar Arc mathematical relationship involving the Natal Chart is most fascinating (actually mind blowing) to me being a speculator/gambler for big events with key people AA charts, (Quarterbacks & Presidents). Also for me when I am planning 'out of ordinary events/incidents' in my life. I can't recall ever reading anything about this type Solar Arc analysis to the Natal calculating possible specific Natal Midpoints to focus on. Is this type Solar Arc analysis found with examples in Jacobson book “The Language of Uranian Astrology,” or any specific article in Spica? Or is this a special case with Trump/Election noted randomly as a rare coincidence by you with the Dial? If you ever run across more examples of this type Solar Arc analysis, I would be most interested and appreciate you posting.

Thanks again Jim. This may pay dividends to me for the Election—if so, you get a dividend.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:12 pm

SteveS wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:04 pm
Jim, I knew you were losing sight in one eye. Are you now losing sight in the other eye?
Both eyes are impacted. The immediate issue is that my special hard contact lens were lost this week so I have to wait a couple of weeks for the optometrist to get replacements manufactured. I can read with one eye if I am within about 3" of the screen, which is physically difficult.
I can't recall ever reading anything about this type Solar Arc analysis to the Natal calculating possible specific Natal Midpoints to focus on. Is this type Solar Arc analysis found with examples in Jacobson book “The Language of Uranian Astrology,” or any specific article in Spica? Or is this a special case with Trump/Election noted randomly as a rare coincidence by you with the Dial? If you ever run across more examples of this type Solar Arc analysis, I would be most interested and appreciate you posting.
It probably is in Jacobson. It's definitely in Ebertin's books on solar arcs - by example more than explanation. Often the descriptions are complex, e.g., Uranian astrologers talking about a + b - c equations that another planet completes, but all these are just tactics for getting at something really simple: 45° aspects between points and midpoints (and midpoints to midpoints), and reading each factor as a synthesis of all the points and midpoints on its axis.

The math of all of this is quite simple, but you have to think it through: The unique characteristic of Solar Arcs is that all solar arc planets keep the same relationship to each other that they have in the natal chart. So, for example, if your natal Sun and Jupiter are 56°52' apart, then Sun and Jupiter in the solar arcs will always be 56°52' apart, too. (You can sort these distance lists, too, to get aspects between the points; let's keep it simple for now.)

Now, your Jupiter is 56°52' ahead of your Sun. Looking further, we see that your Mercury is 56°07' ahead of your Saturn. That means that when your solar arc was 56°-something, you had both solar arc Sun conjunct your Jupiter and solar arc Saturn conjunct your Mercury.

Now, there is a rule - you can work it out mathematically - that any two pair of planets with the same distance between them makes exact midpoint aspects. Something I sometimes do is use this as a way to flesh out the meaning of aspects. For example, you have Mercury sextile Pluto -0°04' and Sun sextile Mars +3°00'. Because Mercury sextiles Pluto and Sun sextiles Mars, we know that there is a conjunction of two midpoints involving these four planets. (Equal distances apart always mean midpoints, and midpoints involving planets actually in aspect are theoretically stronger. - A glance at your chart (at Mercury, Pluto, Sun, and Mars) tells us at once that the lineup must be Sun/Pluto = Mercury/Mars (the two inside planets and the two outside planets). We can average the orbs of the two aspects and see that the two midpoints will be 1°32', which is a little wide - but it makes the point as an example!

Looking at your midpoints, we confirm that Me/Ma is 10°00' Leo and Su/Pl is 11°32 Leo - they are conjunct with the orb we anticipated, 1°32'.

Let's suppose these were closer. We would then suspect that there would be an important life event of the combined nature of Me/Ma and Su/Pl when these two solar arcs simultaneously matured, which would be when Pluto directed to conjoin Mercury simultaneously with Mars directing to conjoin Sun.

On a physical 90° dial this takes a few seconds to see the pattern and calculate the timing! It's one example of where we have lost something with computers.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:53 pm

I damn sure want to learn these "tactics" for analysis. I will try to get Jacobson book and the other Solar Arc books by Ebertin. I want to wait until you reacquire your special contact lens before I start asking you some specific questions about use of Dial. But, if I understand for picking possible winners in contests, all I have to do is put one's Solar Arcs Pairs (only) on the dial near the contest event-- picking-up the exact degree for these, and then checking for multiple (more than 1) benefic or malefic aspected 0,90,180 Natal Midpoints. Correct?

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:08 pm

Jim wrote:
On a physical 90° dial this takes a few seconds to see the pattern and calculate the timing! It's one example of where we have lost something with computers.
Believe me, I realize this after working with these Solar Arcs and Natal Midpoints in Solar Fire. It a tough mental/juggling process particularly for my 72 year old mind. I can now truly understand, the astrologers in the 70s who seriously learned how to use dials had much keener astrological sight in many things. I so wish I had mastered the use of dials. Yes, indeed, I can clearly understand how dials hold advantages over the computer.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:56 pm

Here's a simple demonstration of how it works. (You might want to pull your chart up on Solar Fire as a dial.)

To do Solar Arcs, find the spot on the dial that many degrees around the circle from the other clockwise. For example, if your current solar arc is 73°, go 73°clockwise from the pointer (which is 17° counter-clockwise from the pointer on a 90° dial).

We put on dot on the dial at that point, then - here's the first cool thing - just spin the dial to place that dot on each planet in turn and the pointer will show you any solar arc aspects it has right now. Since the pointer is already on the target planet, y9u instantly see all of its midpoints without doing anything else. (A separate trick is to have two rings - write your natal planets on the inside of the dial and copy them on your paper just outside the dial. You rotate the inner wheel once (for the amount of solar arc) and you see t a glance all contacts and all midpoints without any further actions. You can fake this in Solar Fire with a two-ring dial.)

The other thing I wanted to show you was how to find midpoint axes quickly with the dial. Lety's suppose that you noticed that directed Moon aspected your Ascendant at about the same time that directed Mercury aspected your Sun.Immediately (because equal distances mean midpoints) this tells you that, since Moon to Ascendant is at the same time as Mercury to Sun, in your birth chart you must have the Moon/Sun midpoint on the Mercury/Ascendant midpoint. How to find these quickly? There are two ways. In practice, we usually just spin the dial until the same number (same distance)is on two of the planets (e.g., your Moon and your Sun are the same distance on either side of the pointer) - this takes seconds. You can lso put the pointer on one planet (say, your Moon), read how many degrees it is to the other planet (in this case, your Sun) (it looks to be about 17 1/2 degrees0, divide by two and and then spin the dial so that this value (not quite eight degrees) is on both Moon and Sun. At that point, you will see it is also the Mercury/Ascendantmidpoint. The dial will qlso show you that, within 1°, this is Neptune/Node, Moon/Uranus, Mercury/Jupiter, and Mars/Pluto, which may help with the interpretation.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:28 am

:shock: 8-) I need practice and experience.

Arena
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Arena » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:24 am

Trump aside, I find solar arcs particularly interesting like Steve. I must buy that Noel Tyl book and possibly also Ebertin's book on solar arcs. I also see that Frank C. Clifford gets the best reviews on his book on solar arcs, so that one might be worthwhile as well.

I'm following them closely in my own case and they seem so very powerful. I do not see the sec. pr. Moon having any trigger effect though.

Anyway I'm wondering if I can cast a chart in solar fire with midpoints marked onto the chart ring? I know I can get a table, but I would like to have the midpoints marked onto the ring and then run a dynamic biwheel with transits to be able to see the transits to the midpoints.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:56 am

Arena wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:24 am
I do not see the sec. pr. Moon having any trigger effect though.
Agreed. - It may have a collateral effect, i.e., a concurrent progressed Moon may mark the time a solar arc actualizes. (Different techniques simultaneously shw the same event all the time.) In that case FWIW I'm more inclined just to consider it an effect of the progressed Moon aspect itself.

But I have n practical or theoretical basis to think that a progressed Moon serves as an actual trigger, i.e., aspects solar arc positions, or to think that progressed positions can aspect directed planets directly. (Pun unintended but permitted.)
Anyway I'm wondering if I can cast a chart in solar fire with midpoints marked onto the chart ring? I know I can get a table, but I would like to have the midpoints marked onto the ring and then run a dynamic biwheel with transits to be able to see the transits to the midpoints.
Yes. Te option you want to explore is User Defined Points. You can create a User Defined Points file with the midpoints you want and then select that file. For example, here is my chart with select midpoints added (I'll come back and delete this graphic later, or another administrator can do it for me.)

[admin note: graphic removed]
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:39 am

For those who are seriously interested in easily tracking their Direct & Indirect Solar Arcs, I am now in the process of learning a neat specialized Solar Arc program ($50.00) from Matrix Software (1 800 779 2559). This program was solely designed from the teachings of Noel Tyl's “Solar Arcs” book.

I have discovered Indirect Solar Arcs to Natal Midpoints offer important details to the Kingpins for Direct Solar Arcs (not involving natal midpoints), particularly involving the MC, ASC, SUN & MOON.

Also, one of Ebertin's conclusions from his book “Directions” (Solar Arcs) for contemplation:
It has been demonstrated in very many cases that a certain mutual dependency between directions and transits exists, that directions only substantiated themselves when the corresponding transits are present, and vice versa.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:39 am

For those who are seriously interested in easily tracking their Direct & Indirect Solar Arcs, I am now in the process of learning a neat specialized Solar Arc program ($50.00) from Matrix Software (1 800 779 2559). This program was solely designed from the teachings of Noel Tyl's “Solar Arcs” book.

I have discovered Indirect Solar Arcs to Natal Midpoints offer important details to the Kingpins for Direct Solar Arcs (not involving natal midpoints), particularly involving the MC, ASC, SUN & MOON.

Also, one of Ebertin's conclusions from his book “Directions” (Solar Arcs) for contemplation:
It has been demonstrated in very many cases that a certain mutual dependency between directions and transits exists, that directions only substantiated themselves when the corresponding transits are present, and vice versa.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:42 am

The Ebertin quote is an example of why I've never found Solar Arcs as important as other techniques: If you need the transits to seal the deal, you get much the same information from just watching the transits.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:34 am

I understand where you are coming from Jim.

The only solar arcs which I think offer good reliable data for the astrologer are the arcs involving natal angles (to & from planets); and arcs (to & from) involving Sun & Moon. My # 1 Predictor for possible major life developments is the SSR under certain conditions and # 2 Predictor are Solar Arcs using the above criteria. I think transits may be the specific time exciters of a solar arc at times using Carter's "Law of Excitation" for major events. I like looking at Solar Arcs under the above criteria for timing major life developments mainly because they are 'once in a lifetime' astrological happenings depending on the planetary symbolism.

For example: When my natal MC solar arc conjunct to my Natal Neptune (Film/Theaters) is when my dream came true for owning my own Theater Business---a 'once in lifetime' angular solar arc planetary event relative to the theater environment I was born into.

Another example helping explain my above words: We see in Arena's life for 2020 a 'once in lifetime' d. Sun 90 n. Venus for timing her present love relationship; but, her current SSR timed (soon to be) the same love relationship with her n. Venus-Jupiter on her SSR Horizon, a 'once in lifetime' natal ANGULAR SSR happening. Arena has a direct midpoint in her chart SUN/MOON = JUPITER which also helps explain how benefic she feels about her love relationship--- tremendously aided by her secondary progressed Jupiter wired into this Sun/Moon midpoint with her d. Sun coming to this Sun/Moon midpoint axis with n. Jupiter soon. Also sp natal Moon has been partile sp natal Venus.

I have made-up my mind I am not going to wager on 2020 Prez election--- way to many mixed signals. But as a possible example for Ebertin's quoted words above. It is my opinion Ebertin would not consider much weight for Trump's possible Inauguration date of: Solar Arc MC =Jupiter/MC; but Ebertin would add much more weight to this planetary picture on Inauguration for a possible Trump win because transiting Jupiter is involved partile with this Solar Arc MC to his Jupiter/MC midpoint. I am in the process of learning possible new techniques for my tool box.

Midpoints combined with Solar Arcs as explained above help's me see better with my style of practicing astrology. I think Ebertin & Hand put out some good astrological teachings.

I may not be as active with the forum for a while for personal reasons (got a rough SLR July 2)---but you know I will be back. :)

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:06 pm

SteveS wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:34 am
Another example helping explain my above words: We see in Arena's life for 2020 a 'once in lifetime' d. Sun 90 n. Venus for timing her present love relationship...
Ironically, Sun directions are the worst examples to prove the system as it is identical with progressed Sun. We know secondary progressions work for major life shifts: If there were no solar arc directions (which there surely are), we would still have progressed Sun square natal Venus.

Be careful with that SLR. Glad you had a great trip!
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:47 pm

Jim wrote:
Be careful with that SLR.

Due to too much partying on trip (dancing-thinking I was a young buck :) ) I experienced some possible cardio problems---going in for some test July 7, 8 9. I was told a couple of years ago I had a slight leaky value which is no big deal but they may make decision to do an operation which is supposedly a minor procedure---but that SLR has me somewhat concerned. I am thinking if they want to do procedure to wait until I get out of that July SLR.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:18 pm

I've wondered when Pluto's partile conjunction with my Mars was going to result in something serious. So far, it hasn't (in the sense of life-threatening, etc.), and that's with having had the Saturn-Pluto conjunction fall on my Mars in January. Not saying it won't happen... it's the perfect aspect for hospitalizations, any cumulative stress or strain injury, and more... but, with your case in mind, it's worth noting that nothing like that has happened.

That's a harsh lunar. The harsh stuff is strongest. I'd have some confidence in the Jupiter-Pluto aspect to mean "fixing the problem, making things better," but there's no way you'd come through without some hardship (which is going to be part of a major procedure anyway). The Demi somewhat improves things - moves Saturn a few degrees away, puts your Jupiter exactly on MC. I like that better than the following SLR with natal Saturn setting.

Remember, in scheduling surgery, to look at lunar phase. Studies done back in the '70s or '80s and published in one of the major medical journals showed significantly more bleeding crises during surgery in the two weeks centered on the Full Moon than in the two weeks centered on the New Moon.

Progressed Sun exactly conjoins your Moon this week! That should be worth quite lot for vitalizing life.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:52 pm

Thanks Jim. Yes, I am hoping that Jupiter-Pluto aids things in a more benefic fashion. I think with my t. Pluto 180 n. Mars, I put my physical body in an over-worked situation with the fun dancing and my heart system said: nope--to old for that. :) Anyway, better to get things checked out with tests. I have been feeling dizzy at times since dancing episode and looking at monitor makes it worse.

Jim wrote:
I've wondered when Pluto's partile conjunction with my Mars was going to result in something serious. So far, it hasn't (in the sense of life-threatening, etc.), and that's with having had the Saturn-Pluto conjunction fall on my Mars in January. Not saying it won't happen... it's the perfect aspect for hospitalizations, any cumulative stress or strain injury, and more... but, with your case in mind, it's worth noting that nothing like that has happened.
It may be before anything serious happens or is known as malefic---these nasty aspects has to be angular in a return chart. Have these aspects appeared angular in any of your return charts?
Last edited by SteveS on Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Arena wrote:
I find solar arcs particularly interesting like Steve. I must buy that Noel Tyl book and possibly also Ebertin's book on solar arcs. I also see that Frank C. Clifford gets the best reviews on his book on solar arcs, so that one might be worthwhile as well.
Indeed Arena, I too find solar arcs very interesting which has absolutely revitalized/peaked my astrological mental interests. I would definitely recommend Tyl's book but not recommend Ebertin's book unless you want to document many examples how solar arcs with midpoint pictures time important events in people's lives. I have ordered 3 Clifford books---thanks for pointing out his work with Solar Arcs. Hopefully, I will eventually quote some of his insights working with Solar Arcs so that we all may learn/grow/understand better with Solar Arcs. Thanks :)

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:43 pm

SteveS wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:52 pm
It may be before anything serious happens or is known as malefic---these nasty aspects has to be angular in a return chart. Have these aspects appeared angular in any of your return charts?
Demi-SLR 27 Sep Asc 28° Sagittarius
SLR 4 Dec MC 29° Pisces
Demi-SLR 9 Mar MC 30° Pisces
SLR 23 Mar EP 1° Capricorn
Demi-SLR 6 Apr Asc 25° Sagittarius
Demi-SLR 3 May EP 30° Gemini

Upcoming:
SLR 10 Jul MC 28° Pisces
Demi-SLR 24 Jul 30° Pisces
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:21 pm

Hmm...

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:05 am

Arena wrote:
I find solar arcs particularly interesting like Steve. I must buy that Noel Tyl book and possibly also Ebertin's book on solar arcs. I also see that Frank C. Clifford gets the best reviews on his book on solar arcs, so that one might be worthwhile as well.
Arena, yesterday morning I received Clifford's “Solar Arc Handbook” and finished reading 3:00 AM this morning. Not much new which interested my mind except what I quoted from Clifford in the Synastry Topic. IMO, Tyl's (RIP) Solar Arc Book is still the best for the serious astrologer when it comes to learning how to apply Solar Arcs. But, Clifford's book has many more (dozens) Direct Solar Arc examples vs Tyl's book. Clifford only addresses the Direct Solar Arcs; whereas, Tyl also addresses the Indirect Solar Arcs to Midpoints, which I think are very important in certain cases.

Arena, I am also learning more/better how to use Tyl's specialized Solar Arc program designed with his Solar Arc book teachings. Its a lot less cumbersome to me than using Ebertin's dials in Solarfire, imo. Since you are an active member on this forum and are interested in Solar Arcs, I would like to use your recent life happenings as a par-excellent example for the use of Solar Arcs as taught by Tyl with his specialized Solar Arc program. Let me know. :)

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Steve wrote to Jim
I can't recall ever reading anything about this type Solar Arc analysis to the Natal calculating possible specific Natal Midpoints to focus on. Is this type Solar Arc analysis found with examples in Jacobson book “The Language of Uranian Astrology,” or any specific article in Spica? Or is this a special case with Trump/Election noted randomly as a rare coincidence by you with the Dial? If you ever run across more examples of this type Solar Arc analysis, I would be most interested and appreciate you posting.
Jim replied:
It probably is in Jacobson. It's definitely in Ebertin's books on solar arcs - by example more than explanation. Often the descriptions are complex, e.g., Uranian astrologers talking about a + b - c equations that another planet completes, but all these are just tactics for getting at something really simple: 45° aspects between points and midpoints (and midpoints to midpoints), and reading each factor as a synthesis of all the points and midpoints on its axis.
Jim, I just finished reading Jacobson book, "The Language of Uranian Astrology". He waits until the last 5 pages of his book (247-251) to discuss this unique Solar Arc method. He describes this method as “the concept of total energy throughout a natal axis,” I guess with natal midpoints. It is indeed a fascinating concept. He also touches on this same Solar Arc Direction method on page 195 under the paragraph: “Dual-Disk Analysis.” When you introduced this method to me, I was somewhat floored, mainly because the astrology I had already analyzed told me there was very high % Trump would not win a second term. But with this Uranium method it flips---high % Trump wins a second term—presenting a huge contradiction of forecasted astrological factors. Anyway, like you said—I will need to “think my way” through this very interesting/unique method.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks. I guess I'll have to reread those last five pages. (I'm still working with limited vision - worse today than yesterday and still awaiting a correct lens - but I'm trying to read John Bolton's new book, which I got from a private source.)

What did you think of the book overall?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Steve, now that you've read those five pages, let me draw your attention to a single report in Solar Fire that will give you the key to that "whole axis" analysis. - Remember, I can't vouch that this approach is entirely correct (even though I think it's somewhat correct and should be explored). That report is the Midpoint Listing.''

Let's take your chart as an example: Do an animated biwheel of your natal. Set the outside ring to Solar Arcs. Switch from a Wheel to a Dial. At a glance, it looks like maybe you have Moon to natal Ascendant-Jupiter, Sun-Uranus to Moon, Mercury to Sun-Uranus. Flipping back to the Wheel so that you can check degrees and minute, we confirm that you currently have, within 1°:

d Moon to r Ascendant (exact to the 0' right now)
d Sun to r Moon (6' sep.)
d Uranus to r Moon (43' ap)
d Mercury to r Sun (2' ap.)
d Mercury to r Uranus (27' sep)

This is a whole lot of very close solar arcs maturing all at the same time! One is exact to the minute three are exact within 6', five are exact to the degree. You can surely get a lot of information from planet-to-planet directions, including two sets involving your Sun-Uranus. We could take several pages working out the combinations, but, as a quick mention, that fact that Sun-Uranus directs to your Moon when Mercury directs to your Sun-Uranus tells me - without looking at the chart - that your Sun-Uranus square is at the Moon/Mercury midpoint. (Sun-Uranus is as far from Moon on one side as it is from Mercury on the other side.) Moon to Ascendant at the same time as Sun to Moon (within minutes!) tells me there is the extremely important picture: Moon = Sun/Asc! (Three personal points.)

Looking at your natal chart with the Midpoint Axes report (45°) confirms Mo = Su/Asc and Su = Ur = Mo/Me. But notice that we didn't need to check this to know it was there. We knew these two pictures existed in the natal because of the solar arcs maturing at the same time.

To interpret your current solar arcs, we can interpret these axe. From the Midpoint Axes report, with a 45° sort, you learn:
Su = Ur = Mo/Me = Ma/MC
Mo = Su/Asc = Ur/Asc = Ve/Sa = Ju/Ur = Su/Ju = Ma

Under this theory, you interpret the entire axis of each. In this case the midpoints are unusually important because they specifically involve natal Sun and Moon, activating their entire picture! (Progressed Sun conjunct natal Moon is obviously a big deal.)

But, just to finish the example and show you how to use the other report, the two closest aspects (only 2' apart) are Moon-to-Ascendant and Mercury-to-Sun. Criss-crossing these, you know (without having to calculate it) that, in your birth chart, the Moon/Sun midpoint (obviously a very important one) is on your Mercury/Asc midpoint. To understand all the repercussions of this, bring up the Midpoint Listing report (again, with a 45° sort).

Looking in the top half, you see that Mo/Su is 9°06' and Me/As is 9°03', confirming they are on the same axis. Next, look in the bottom half for this 9° point, going 1° either side, and you find the following lineup to interpret, all of them activated at once:

8°44' Mo/Ur
'9°03' Me/As
9°06' Mo/Su

9°56' Me/Ju
10°02' Ma/Pl

These other three midpoints (the theory goes) tell you more about what the activated intersection of Me/As and Mo/Su is about.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Meantime, a quick glance looks like Gayle has Mars to Jupiter, Midheaven to Mars, Neptune to Saturn, Sun maybe to Uranus or MC. Looking back at the Wheel, to measure more carefully, we identify that only two of them are currently in orb:

d Mars to r Jupiter (50' sep.)
d Neptune to r Saturn 54' sep.)

Neither of these is close right now, but they were exact the same month, nearly a year ago, so they make a good example. You can get information just from seeing Mars to Jupiter and Neptune to Saturn but - using our crisscross math trick - you immediately know that the Mars/Saturn midpoint is on the Jupiter/Neptune midpoint in her birth chart.

This sounds grim, especially under the simpler interpretation of the two aspects. Looking at the Midpoint Listing report for Gayle's natal, we see Ma/Sa at 13°27' and Ju/Ne at 13°29', only 02' part. Going one degree either side of these gives a complete view of the axis:

12°37' Mo/Ur
13°27' Ma/Sa
13°29' Ju/Ne

14°20' Ju/As
14°21' Su/Pl
14°26' Me/Ju

Four more midpoints are on the axis. Whatever the event not quite a year ago blending Ma/Sa with Ju/Ne, its description would also be colored by Mo/Ur, Ju/As, Su/Pl, and Me/Ju.

Does this describe anything from that time?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:23 am

Jim asked:
What did you think of the book overall?
Love it!!! Don't understand all the technical stuff yet, but I am now in my second reading and taking notes. Its a book I can definitely learn new things and its time for me to learn new astrological things with my d Mercury = r Sun- r Uranus. Jacobson's style of writing connects with my mind. Would you happen to have an AA birth data for him? I also love his style of mixing in humor with his serious Uranian/Astrological writings.

Jim wrote:
Remember, I can't vouch that this approach is entirely correct (even though I think it's somewhat correct and should be explored).

I clearly understand Jim. The tell-tell sign for me this “approach” will be a worthy approach is if Trump wins a second term! I mean---look--if we can prove-out an “approach” which specifies certain natal midpoints at certain times with Solar Arcs......

Jim, thank you so much for taking the time, particularly with the present state of your eye problems (sight), demonstrating with my Solar Arcs/Midpoints how to view/understand with Solar Fire. This will definitely add important new learning things with my d Mercury = r Sun-Uranus. If you ever see any specific tools (dials) that would help you help us all learn more with Uranian Astrology please let me know and I will get em to you.

Solar Arc/Secondary Progressed Sun to my Natal Moon and her Midpoints is definitely illuminating with deep reflections the important women (Mother, Wife, Tina-the Psychic) in my life. I know in Sidereal Astrology we should not regulate things/people to the planets, but my recent learning with Uranian Astrology tells me to look/investigate closely the women in my life with Natal Moon and her Midpoints. It truly is exciting and illuminating (Sun-Uranus) from an inner reflecting sight which probably I am the only one who understands its true(r) personal meanings for my life. It is so potent a reflection--at times it brings tears to my eyes at this late age in my life.

Jim wrote:
Does this describe anything from that time? (about Gayle)
Indeed!!! For the Mars-Saturn/Saturn-Neptune she is starring in the face in only a short matter of time before she loses her Mother and another best friend to the issues of death. She is caring for her best friend who has lung cancer and has made the decision to die without going through chemo and all that crap—her friend is 89---like a second mother. Also, Covid—19 canceled the free Cruise trip abroad for her an another close friend. This tore her heart out right at the time she needed an R&R break from her downer life happenings!!! But she is a strong woman---much stronger than me when it comes to downers. I have said it before: Women are stronger than Men when it comes to tough times, imo.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:53 am

I have no birth data for Jacobson. I don't think he gave it in any of the Spica articles.
SteveS wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:23 am
Jim, thank you so much for taking the time, particularly with the present state of your eye problems (sight), demonstrating with my Solar Arcs/Midpoints how to view/understand with Solar Fire. This will definitely add important new learning things with my d Mercury = r Sun-Uranus. If you ever see any specific tools (dials) that would help you help us all learn more with Uranian Astrology please let me know and I will get em to you.
Thank you. I wish I could find the metal Witte 90° that were so available in the '70s through '90s - I still have my 360° dial but have lost the very useful 90° dial (probably in the 2014-15 move). I've searched the Internet for them and can't find anyone making them. They were a perfect tool.
I know in Sidereal Astrology we should not regulate things/people to the planets, but my recent learning with Uranian Astrology tells me to look/investigate closely the women in my life with Natal Moon and her Midpoints.
I more or less always think this. When there is a major Moon theme in Sidereal ingresses, I think it will be "women in the news." SOmetimes this is right, sometimes wrong: There was an ingress early this year that covered a time when major news about both Queen Elizabeth and Ruth Bader Ginsburg occurred. OTOH, I was so sure the months-long and redundant Moon-Uranus in 2016 meant that the radical breakthrough would be for women and - while there was a major shift in cultural attitude regarding women in general (which manifest strongly the next year), I was wrong about what that meant for Hillary. Especially as long as society treats women as lesser or excluded, assigning specially defined roles and limits for them, mass mind will react to this symbol. (In some cases, especially in women's charts, it's still important to think of Sun as "men in their lives," even though they have lives of their own! This may have to do with the extent to which a given woman has actualized her identity in the world rather than let it remain a projection or service for father, husband, etc. - It's no different than anybody (man or woman) often seeing cops or bosses (for example) manifest as Sun. - The impact of this on you right now seems quite precious.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:19 am

Jim wrote:
The impact of this on you right now seems quite precious.
It is very precious Jim! It is difficult for me to express with words. Another very important woman in my life was Kasia, the Chicago Psychic who told me in 1977(?) I would be initiated into Astrology/Higher Learning with very important out of print books. Your book "Interpreting Solar Returns" was one of the books. This was when I didn't know one thing about Astrology/Higher Learning and thought Kasia full of it! It was the insistence from my wife we go to Chicago to get a Readings from Kasia (Psychic) and her Husband (Astrologer). We spent 3 full days with em---I was ready to leave the first day but I could tell Gayle was loving em. Then things only a few weeks later started to happen in my life.....and here I am on an astrological forum writing things about my life which is actually a mystery to me. I need to reflect and figure out the months I first met Kasia & Tina--to maybe do some synastry research with Solar Arcs.

Is Jacobson still on the planet--if so--where :?:

Arena
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Arena » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10 am

SteveS wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:05 am
Arena wrote:
Arena, yesterday morning I received Clifford's “Solar Arc Handbook” and finished reading 3:00 AM this morning. Not much new which interested my mind except what I quoted from Clifford in the Synastry Topic. IMO, Tyl's (RIP) Solar Arc Book is still the best for the serious astrologer when it comes to learning how to apply Solar Arcs. But, Clifford's book has many more (dozens) Direct Solar Arc examples vs Tyl's book. Clifford only addresses the Direct Solar Arcs; whereas, Tyl also addresses the Indirect Solar Arcs to Midpoints, which I think are very important in certain cases.

Arena, I am also learning more/better how to use Tyl's specialized Solar Arc program designed with his Solar Arc book teachings. Its a lot less cumbersome to me than using Ebertin's dials in Solarfire, imo. Since you are an active member on this forum and are interested in Solar Arcs, I would like to use your recent life happenings as a par-excellent example for the use of Solar Arcs as taught by Tyl with his specialized Solar Arc program. Let me know. :)
Sure thing Steve. There are so many important contacts being made at this important time in my life.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:15 pm

There are Uranian teachings which instruct internal manifestations vs the real reality of an external events and it has to do with the six Uranian personal points. I will try to quote some words later when I dig them out of my notes which I have been taking lately with my new learnings pertaining to Uranian Astrology.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:56 am

Solar Arcs (Directions) point to those times in life when specific radix structures (midpoints) & configurations become particularly important. Each structure (midpoint) in the natal may be understood on at least two levels:

1: As a general background forming the overall context of the native's experience throughout significant portions, if not all, of the lifetime.

2: As more or less specific events which are manifested at specific times that can be rather accurately established by the application of solar arc directions.

The Language of Uranian Astrology, by Roger A. Jacobson
Solar Arcs are a very simple system with great power and implication. Solar Arcs function purely as a timer creating events described by the natal factors it connects and at times timed by the transits. Also use Solar Arcs as a connection timer between transiting factors creating events in the native’s life.
Gary Christen, teaching lecture in the Public Domain.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:11 am

Yes, this is the main thing I've been discussing in the Uranian astrology thread, but I haven't gotten around to saying the following yet:

Tropical astrologers traditionally hold to a root principle that nothing can happen anytime in one's life unless it is already described in the natal chart. I bold and underline that for reference, not to emphasize that it's necessarily true. It is, however, a hypothesis capable of being tested. Whether true or not, it has an emotional lure. One would like to think that life were in a neater, more manageable package, though that's surely too naïve to be true. Also, this principle unquestionably was articulated long before the computer age, even before calculating many charts (by hand) was feasible. We've learned, in decades since, that prediction often requires many different charts (something Siderealists almost wear as a lifestyle) that, admittedly, in the '50s, '60s, '70s, etc. was impractical.

So, oh... to be able to have one single chart in front of you from which every single important event in the life could be read!

The great Evangeline Adams is an outstanding example of where much of this came from. She was so poor at calculating horoscopes that, once she got a natal chart in hand, she'd use it for everything! She was a great user of horary astrology - a chart cast for the moment a question is asked, from which to read all the potential future unfolding of that question. Adams was so poor at calculating charts (I suspect she had someone else do that for her) that she would do horary by calculating only the Ascendant and house cusps for the moment of a question then putting her client's NATAL planets inside it, instead of the planets of the moment. This came to be called the accidental Ascendant technique.

So a lot of the "it all has to be in the natal" comes from a time when having a single chart for a person in hand was a big deal, secondary progressions tended to be done only for one date in the year and generalized from there for the whole year, and transits were too damn hard to seriously consider doing other than, broadly, watching planets pass thr9ugh somebody's houses.

But... all that aside... is the underlying principle true? Is it true that nothing can happen anytime in one's life unless it is already described in the natal chart? And, if so, then what would it look like.

We know at least some ways in which it isn't true, but they nearly fall in the "act of God" category. Specifically, mundane astrology shows us patterns that affect the great masses outside of the framework of their individual charts. An obvious example right now would be the reshaping of the conditions of life by COVID-19. All of these conditions are easily shown by Saturn in Capricorn along with the added punch of Saturn-Pluto being the dominant aspect in the Capsolar. Individual charts will show individual sub-plots in this story, but the bigger story is obviously affecting more or less everyone in large and small ways independent of their own charts. Let's acknowledge and skip over these and move on...

In traditional Tropical astrology, trying to make this rule fit has led to obscure straining at the chart, nearly always involving house rulerships - and often very complex interweavings of house rulership considerations. To be blunt, the entire technique is BS. Of everything that has ever crept into astrology, house dispositorship in general and it's use to justify every damn thing that comes along has done astrology enormous damage - perhaps more damage than any other thing - because it has reduced it to a system where you can prove anything you want from the chart, any time you want; which, of course, reduces it to you can't objectively know anything.

But, before moving on, an example, in case you aren't familiar with the extremity. Let us assume (ahem) that I would suddenly find myself working from home in my employment for a long stretch (like I am right now). Under the rule, this could never happen unless the possibility already shows in my birth chart. (Fortunately, the rules are elastic enough to allow us to find anything.) Under the usual premises, it could never happen unless planets in or ruling my 4th house (home) have an appropriate connection to planets in or ruling my 6th house (work), or perhaps my 10th house (career), or, if really pushed to the wall, my 2nd house (making money). The simplest connection is that Jupiter, ruling my 4th house, is exactly conjunct Uranus, ruling my 6th house, so sure, it would be natural (by this theory) that home and work would come together. We could then use at least 20 other considerations in the chart to describe the details of this.

That's an example. (It's a simple one. They can easily get more complicated.)

Hindu astrology has similar weaknesses in this - the whole house dispositorship picture if used heavily in those methods as well, plus many more rules not found in Western astrology, plus plus the ability to role these rules through 16 sub-charts. To again be blunt, it's quite a mess. However, they do bring one interesting new concept to the whole thing: While every planet and house has dozens of applicable rules and relationships that make it unfeasible to interpret as a "natal reading," they then have a system (the Vimshottari Dasa method of periods and sub-periods) that "activate" one or two planets at a time. Their premise is that, what a planet's period comes, everything connected with that planet is activated - the light switch is turned on - and all that stuff in the natal has a chance to unfold.

Thus, beginning December 2019 and lasting until September 2022, I'm in the Mercury subperiod of the major Venus period. One would expect that the entire 20 years from 2004 through 2023 would be Venus-themed for me, with the current 1,020 days having a Mercury focus. This, at least, becomes manageable. Of course, all the rules of their system apply to determining what that might mean (and most of those rules are nonsense), but the underlying idea is intriguing and more manageable, that we have certain times in life when specific "natal potential" unlocks. - In my case, one might even be able to see the COVID-19 lockdown and "work from home," since Mercury rules my 10th house of career and is located in the 2nd house of money conjunct Saturn. (This is almost too severe: It implies worse losses than have occurred, and I'm not eager to start thinking that they will still occur. But it least it's reasonable symbolism.)

From the last few paragraphs, I'd like you to take away two ideas: (1) The ways this "everything big that happens has to be shown in the natal" rule has been applied in both traditional Tropical and Hindu astrology has been built on nonsense. (2) A Hindu astrology idea that (theoretically) brings greater integrity and manageability to the theory is the idea that there are certain points in life when a planet's natal pattern unfurls as events; and that, when this occurs, everything connected to that planet is potentially expressed.

In Sidereal astrology, this rule hasn't ever been asserted. There is acknowledgement that innate native patterns can be unlocked or re-expressed but - especially since we rely on few factors that have greatest certainty - it usually isn't possible to trace every single event to the natal chart. (I don't find this a loss. I find it realistic and more consistent with the limits of what astrology can do.)

Even though I don't require Fagan or Bradley ever discussing the "everything is in the natal" principle, it undoubtedly was in their minds - its discussion was so prevalent during their years of becoming astrologers. I think it is likely the main idea underlying Fagan (and later Bradley) initially claiming that a Solar Return is the new natal horoscope for a year, with a Lunar Return serving the same function for a month. That is, I think what he was saying was that, since one expects everything important that happens to shown in the natal chart, this is only true if you look not at the birth chart but for the "new natal" for the year and month called the Solar Return and Lunar Return.

Siderealists, then, don't normally think about the "everything is in the natal" rule - except that we do, in a sense, if you count the Solar Return and Lunar Return as temporary substitute natal charts.

This brings us to Cosmobiology and the application of Solar Arcs.

Remember: What follows is theory. I've seen lots of examples that something like this happens, but I can't speak to it having regular reliability. Nonetheless, there is a theoretical possibility to explore.

Something unique to directions in contrast to either progressions or transits is that the relationship of the directed planets to each other always remains exactly the same as in the natal chart. Since everything in the chart moves at the same pace, it isn't a set of new planets; it's more like a clock timing out when parts of the original natal chart are brought into strongest play.

Solar Arc directions are entirely about patterns pre-existing in the natal chart unlocking. Sure, you can just take them as single aspects - Moon aspecting your Venus or Mars aspecting your Jupiter or whatever - but the mathematical potential is that it is an unlocking of all the pre-existing mathematical properties of the planets involved.

IF it is true that "nothing can happen anytime in one's life unless it is already described in the natal chart," Solar Arc directions are probably where we will find that. Look, though, how it differs from how other methods discussed: It isn't reliant on houses or their rulerships, nor on bountiful complex symbolic rules. Using only the one rule that planets and midpoints can meaningfully aspect other planets and midpoints with all 45° aspects and small orbs, it acknowledges that a planet's natal condition can be complicated - but then gives specific points in time when that potential is most activated (like the Dasa system).

Admittedly, this also all developed long before the computer age and also was an attempt to take one chart - the birth chart - and use it for everything. Because of complexity, its authors had to create new tools, especially the dials that would make the information readily available, and they then developed techniques to use those dials to rapidly unlock future timing. Where it differs from earlier approaches is that it is more constrained and manageable, is based on individual techniques (midpoint contacts) that are confirmed to be real, and is rational and measurable.

That's why we should test it and see if it meets that promise. It violates nothing that Sidereal astrology has confirmed. It is supplemental.

In concept, the method of unlocking what was already initially stated in the natal chart can be pretty straightforward. I will give two short examples.

At birth, I have Mercury at my Jupiter/Pluto and Uranus/Pluto midpoints within half a degree. (There are other things on the axis, but let's start with this.) As a natal factor, these accurately show much of what my life has been about (although tabulating all the things our midpoints can say about us is tedious and confusing). - As a predictive cue, in theory these midpoints would be activated when, by Solar Arc, the planets came to each other. Me = Ur/Pl means that my Mercury is as far from Uranus on one side as from Pluto on the other side (about 14° from each.) With no calculation at all, we could expect it to activate about the time I'm 14 years old. - Calculating more carefully, we find:

d Jupiter sq. r Mercury 8/13/1968
d Uranus sq. r Mercury 11/24/1968
d Mercury sq. r Pluto 8/20/1969

What happened? I got into astrology! I bought my first astrology magazine in September 1968 and it rapidly became my primary intellectual absorption in the months after. Not only does this fit the individual directions of Jupiter-Mercury and Uranus-Mercury (and, later, Mercury-Pluto), but it shows the radical, positive, awakening influence on my mind consistent with Me = Ju/Pl = Ur/Pl.

By theory, everything else on that same Mercury axis would be activated at the same time. I picked the two most obvious midpoints, but could also have picked Me = Ve/Ne. I'm inclined to say that my initial exposure and enrapturement with astrology was quite romantic and idealistic. The "feel" fits.

Isolating this from the natal chart took only seconds. One would expect this natal Me = Ur/Pl = Ju/Pl to be activated at the date above, at roughly 45-year intervals (as the Solar Arc comes around to another angle), and also (in a different way) anytime anything else came to solar arc aspect to my Mercury. With a 90° these are easy to find in seconds: For example, d Mars squared Mercury the fall I entered college (think of this not just as Mars-Mercury - which gives a hint, but isn't clear - but as Mars triggering Me - Ju/Pl = Ur/Pl = Ve/Ne). Progressed/directed Sun conjoined my Mercury in 1979-80 when I was writing for Mattel, writing Interpreting Solar Returns, and about to go work my first real adult job managing publications for ACS. - We'd expect Jupiter and Uranus to be back (by semi-square) about 45 years after 1968, i.e., 2013 (it did) and so much Me = Ju/Pl = Ur/Pl was happening then, such as our explosive, revelatory work with Sidereal mundane astrology (the first edition of my book on the subject came out in 2013).

Of all these "hits," the strongest are those actually stemming from the original natal midpoint structure. For example, directed Moon to my Mercury was felt, but wasn't really worth mentioning compared to the explosive, dynamic results of the exact unlocking near ages 14 and 59 of Me = Ju/Pl = Ur/Pl = Ve/Ne. This narrows our incidents quite a lot and is easy to manage.

That's an example of a straightforward midpoint construct, one planet to a set of midpoints. We can do the same thing with "equal gaps," i.e., two or more midpoints that aspect each other. For example, my Moon/Pluto midpoint conjoins my Mars/Neptune midpoint (0°23'), which sounds emotionally charged and hurtful, likely involving separation. This would come to maturity whenever the charted midpoint (about 15° Hub) would be triggered by any of these four planets or by other planets. It's easy to use a physical dial to find these times and somewhat more tedious with a computer.

I've done a few of these. They don't seem to unlock obvious, big events like the planet-midpoint natal contacts.

THE END
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:20 am

Solar Arcs serves therefore as a timing mechanism whereby radix structures are activated. Jacobson, "The Language of Uranian Astrology."
Comparing Joe Biden's and Trump's Solar Arcs for 2020 Prez election, timed within 2 months of the election, Trump wins with benefic Solar Arcs activation and Biden with malefic Solar Arc activation. This will be a good test for Jacobson's above words using the Uranian System of Solar Arcs/Natal Activation. I still will not bet one nickle on this election---too much mixed malefic stuff I see for both candidates, could mean other things besides the election itself.